5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

gpedit not! (V2002 Professional)

Please advise. I type gpedit.msc in the run box and get an 'Windows Cannot Open this File' error message with Windows wanting to know what program to use to run gpedit. Same with services.msc. However, if I type MMC the management console comes up and from here I can get at gpedit from the file drop down menu. Is this behaviour normal? Surely I should be able to able to get to gpedit directly from the run box?

Thanks,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: gpedit not! (V2002 Professional)

Further to my previous email I've found that defrag does not work - I can't find it from the start menu. I checked windows components in add/remove programs and couldn't find it there either. I know it was on my computer at one time because I used it! I must have done something to disable/delete certain settings that make defrag, gpedit and the like inoperative. The question is what? Can anyone please offer some suggestions to help me get my computer working properly again?

Thanks,

Chris

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Search your drive for dfrg.msc or *.msc and see what you come up with. Try double-clicking directly on one of the MSC files; these are the console windows that enable those applications.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying. I did a search and came up with this list

C:WINDOWSsystem32wmimgmt.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32services.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32secpol.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32rsop.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32perfmon.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32ntmsoprq.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32ntmsmgr.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32lusrmgr.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32gpedit.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32fsmgmt.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32eventvwr.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32diskmgmt.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32dfrg.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32devmgmt.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32compmgmt.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32ciadv.msc
    C:WINDOWSsystem32certmgr.msc

I doubled clicked on the ones I recognised and got the error message each time: "Windows cannot open this file". Windows gives me the choice of connecting to the internet to look up the "appropriate program" to use or selecting the program from a list. Windows didn't find anything searching the internet and I don't know what I can choose manually.

Chris

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you check your file associations? The easiest way to do that is to open Windows Explorer, and then click on Tools - Folder Options. When the dialog box appears, click on the tab that reads File Types. Find the MSC extension. (Look at the attached screen shot for an example.)

When you have MSC highlighted, click on the Advanced button. You'll see a list of actions - double-click on Open and make sure the text reads as follows:

<pre>C:WINDOWSsystem32mmc.exe "%1" %*</pre>

If all of that checks out....post back and let us all know. You need to eliminate this possibility first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! That's great! I checked the file extension and it was completely blank! No options were available at all under the advanced tab so I created a 'new' action called open and typed in what you suggested. Everything is working again, eveen my old shortcuts in customized toolbars. Thanks very much.

Out of curiosity, why the %* at the end of command?

Warm regards,

Chris

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

To be honest, I don't know for certain what the %* is - but I can wager an educated guess.

% would be for a variable that is passed to the MMC.EXE application, and * is a wild card. The %1 in that command line would be for the snap-in - such as DFRG.MSC, and I presume the %* is for any additional command-line switches (that is to say, something that changes the program's behavior) that could be present.

Now you've got me curious....hi ho, hi ho, it's goo-gling I go.....
    -Mark