Thread: IE problem (6)

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE problem (6)

When I click on a link in IE6 that would send an e-mail it opens up 50 t0 60 browser windows and the gives me this message: "could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed." I go to options in Outlook Express and it says that Outlook Express is not the default mail client and so I check the box to make it the default. I then close the options menu and if I open it again it shows that it is not the default mail client again. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE problem (6)

Interesting. Does this occur on all email links, or just those in IE? For example, what about an email link in Word or even Outlook?

Humor me. Go to your Desktop and right-click anywhere. Select "New > | Shortcut". In the "Command line" put simply "mailto:" (with no quotes). Select "Next". Given the shortcut a name like "New Email". Select "Finish". Now, double-click on this new shortcut. Does a new mail window open?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. Does this occur on all email links, or just those in IE? For example, what about an email link in Word or even Outlook?
    When I try to send from Word it tells me that "Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: "Unspecified error"."
    I don't use Outlook, just Outlook Express.

Humor me. Go to your Desktop and right-click anywhere. Select "New > | Shortcut". In the "Command line" put simply "mailto:" (with no quotes). Select "Next". Given the shortcut a name like "New Email". Select "Finish". Now, double-click on this new shortcut. Does a new mail window open?

When I do this it opens a box that says "This wizard helps you to create shortcuts to local or network programs, files, folders, computers or Internet addresses." The command line asks for the location of the itemand has a browse button so I can't follow your instructions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Why can't you ignore the Browse button and simply enter the text??? Just try to avoid the urge to click the Browse button!

I have tried this on several Win98 computers and on WinXP -- so I am fairly sure it should work on ALL OS's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how to post a screen shot. I have captured it but can't see any command to insert it into the message.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The command is "mailto:" -- You have to use your keyboard to enter it... To post a screen shot, use Prt Scrn and MS Paint.

More detail...

To post a screen shot:

1) Select the Window that you want to copy.
    2) Hold down the ALT button and then hit the Print Scrn button. This places an image of the active window on to your clipboard.
    3) Open MS Paint.
    4) Select Edit | Paste. The image should appear in the Paint window.
    5) Modify the image as needed -- crop, add highlights, etc.
    6) Save the file to your Desktop AS A JPG FILE.
    7) Come back to the lounge and write a post. At the end, go to the Add Attachment box and Click Browse... Find your image.
    8) Post it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I understand how you enter the command "mailto", when I do this I get a warning that the file "mailto" cannot be found.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is the other screenshot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Got it. Make sure the colon ([img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] is at the end!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have tried that too with the same result. This obviously doesn't work with XP. I appreciate you trying to help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but it obviously does work on the 3 XP machines I tried it on -- and it SHOULD work on your machine as well. Therefore, you obviously have something wrong with YOUR machine -- and that was *exactly* what I was trying to find out in my first post. :-]

Clearly, your "default mail client is not properly installed". I would reinstall it. I appreciate your appreciation. ;-]