Thread: menu bars (vb6)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

menu bars (vb6)

I have used the menu editor in VB6 to create a few menus for the user, however, I was wondering if the menu bar can be colored in any way. What happens is that I allow the user to customize the background color but it looks funny if the background is say green and the menubar is the standard grey. What is the name of the entire menubar if there is one.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: menu bars (vb6)

The appearance of the menu bar is governed by the Windows display settings (Appearance tab), as in any other application. So if the user wants a green menu bar with magenta text, it can be done in the Display settings, but then ALL applications will have a green menu bar... AFAIK, there is no way to change the appearance of the menu bar for one application.

In general, I prefer to use the System colors in my apps. When you edit the BackColor or ForeColor of an object from the VB properties pane, you can choose between Palette colors and System colors. If you use System colors, your application will always conform to the user settings, and there is no need for you to provide elaborate customization options.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: menu bars (vb6)

The only way you can affect the menu bar or menu objects is by sub-classing the items and creating custom paint routines in your new window procedure.

Can be complicated, but there's some excellent source at http://www.vbaccelerator.com

Check out either the coolbar/rebar or popmenu controls, both of which demonstrate these techniques with example projects.