2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invoking bullets or numbers changes everything (Word 2K, SR-1)

I'm using WOPR as well (natch). When I try to create bullets or numbers Word creates them for every line that exists in the document. Occasionally, if I toggle bullet/numbers on and off the condition will go away. Also, when I boldface something Word now bold faces the entire document. I'm at a loss.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invoking bullets or numbers changes everything (Word 2K, SR-1)

Ken:

I sounds like you have a style in your template that is set to automatically update when a change in its formatting occurs (like adding an bullet or boldface). For example, if the style is Normal, if you check Format, Style, Modify, you will see that the box Automatically update is checked. To correct this, open your template, click on Format, Style, Modify and uncheck the box. Then save the template. This should eliminate the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As the other post has already alluded - you have a style that is set to automatically update.

Besides fixing the template, you will also have to fix the setting in the file that has the problem. Fixing the template will only really be useful for next time you create a file based on it.

As a background task, you should do some reading about using styles and set up a few of them in your template so that you can apply styles instead of local formatting.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spence and Andrew,
    Thanks to both of you. You were right on the money and the problem is fixed. As to reading up on Styles; I've been using Word for about 10-12 years (can't remember when it first was available on PC's, let's just say I'm an "early adopter") and I reasonably comfortable with using most of it's everyday features ... except Styles!! I've read chapters in a number of Word manuals (including Woody's) and I just don't seem to get it. I'm able to modify styles and that sort of thing but I don't get how Word decides to use different styles and how invoke different ones at different times. I receive a lot of resumes, some of which I will copy onto a template with my formatting in place. Some times the style of the original document overrides the template style and other times it doesn't. I've taken to either copying the file into a .txt format to strip all the formatting or, running a macro that I ran across recently, that does basically the same thing. Do either of you know of a good clear explanation of Styles and how they work when importing documents in the scenario I just described?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ken:
    Styles: Pasted Text
    by Phil Rabichow
    The formatting rules that Word follows for pasted text are:
    1. Unformatted text takes on the formatting of the target paragraph style.
    2. Text with direct formatting keeps it