Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink in document template (2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

I want to add an Excel worksheet to the template folder so it will be accessible through File/New. I was able to add the file as an Excel file to the templates folder, but not being a template, it didn't show up in the list of templates in File/New.

To get around that, I created a template with a hyperlink to the Excel file. The hyperlink works fine in the actual template, but does not work when opened through File/New as a Word document. The following error message appears: "The address of this site is not valid. Check the address and try again."

I tried typing in the full path of the hyperlink, but that didn't work either.

I read some previous posts which refer to a "Use relative path" option in 97, but don't see that in 2000.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Erica

Thanks

Re: Hyperlink in document template (2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

Erica, I'm afraid I don't follow what you want to do with the Excel worksheet in Word? Is this just for the convenience of Word users so they don't have to start up Excel first and then open/copy the template?

A relative hyperlink is destined to give you difficulties in this situation because the path to the workbook from the templates folder and the path from the new document, which has no folder, have to be different. As an alternative, you could use a full (absolute) path in your hyperlink.

As another alternative, you could embed the worksheet in the template and add text instructing the user to double-click it to launch Excel.

As a third option, you could write a macro and provide a macrobuton in the new document, or a menu or toolbar button to run it. There are a couple of ways to open a workbook in code.

Hope this helps give you some ideas, and please post back with more info if it doesn't get you to a solution.