3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Developer vs Pro (MSDE) (Access 2002)

Hi

apart from tools/licences needed for distributing applications, are there any benefits for the Access / MSDE / SQL Server programmer in having Office XP developer over XP Pro - e.g. better (if any at all) SQL Client Tools? Do you get SQL Desktop Edition with both versions, if that's what it's called now?

Thanks

Jeremy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Developer vs Pro (MSDE) (Access 2002)

The developer tools, including Visual Source Safe, Code Librarian, Packaging and Deployment Wizard (they're calling it something else in XP but I can't remember what) and the license to distribute the Access runtime with your application, only come with the developer's edition. You get MSDE with all the versions but you get a full SQL Server Personal Edition with Office Developer, which includes the Enterprise Manager and other SQL Server tools. The Code Librarian and VSS only come with Office Developer or Visual Studio.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply, Charlotte.

Just to clear my tired brain: are you saying that Office XP Dev comes with TWO variants of SQL Server - the MSDE version (of which I currently have version 1 courtesy of Office 2000 Pro) AND a "Personal" edition which presumably has slightly greater capacity etc?

Will the client tools work under Win98 where I currently do my MSDE testing away from the office?

Thanks

Jeremy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The developers edition comes with Office Premium (Pro? That's on my work machine, so I don't recall) which has whatever that version contains. There is a separate CD with a personal edition of SQL Server 2000 that you can install, and that includes the Enterprise Manager, Books Online, Query Analyzer, etc., for SQL Server. It's my understanding that the personal edition is not "optimized" the way MSDE is, but I could be mistaken.
    Charlotte