2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hyperlink to Office files in browser tweak?(O2K)

Is there a way to tweak a hyperlink so that if it points at an Office document the document opens in the application, and NOT within the browser? A link to a Word document at least prompts you on whether to save or open the file, but a link to a PowerPoint document automatically opens the presentation in the browser and I don't want this! I'd like it to launch PowerPoint or the PowerPoint viewer (whatever they have on their machines--this is intranet so I can do that). It's annoying because you get huge black spaces on either side of each slide within the browser.

I have Win2K and IE 6, so this actually may be an issue or setting with one of those; not sure how to categorize it. THANKS!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: hyperlink to Office files in browser tweak?(O2K)

Are you talking about a hyperlink on a browser page or in a document of some sort?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A hyperlink on a browser page to a Word or PPT document.

Thanks

The browser will check the Registry to see how you want it to handle files with the .doc and .ppt extensions. The setting is available from the File Types tab of the Folder Options dialog in Windows Explorer (not IE), and is called "Browse in same window." If this is turned off, then the browser will use the associated application to display the file. (You can view screen shots of the dialog for <!post=Windows 98,139599>Windows 98<!/post> and <!post=Windows 2000,139598>Windows 2000<!/post> here in the Lounge).

If you have control over all the computers, the above is best and most straightforward. If you don't have that kind of control and can only control it through the web pages you author, then you might need to fall back on script (e.g., JavaScript/JScript/VBScript) to force the browser to start the application to view the file. I have previously posted some sample code for various purposes. You can test and combine them as needed for your purposes.

Example #1: Open Excel Worksheet in Excel Using a VBScript Link

<UL>Note: the Shell command like equivalent, more or less, to the Run... dialog on the start menu. If Windows doesn't understand what to do with the path to a workbook from the Run... dialog, then this code will not work. Anyone who has Excel, however, should be able to use this method.[/list]Example #2: Create a New Word Document From a Template Using a VBScript Link

<UL>Note: the second macro in Example #2 would be used in the template only if you were opening it using the method in Example #1[/list]Hope this helps.