New Lounger
    Thanks

Image Database (Access 2000/XP)

I need some help and/or information. I would like to try setting up an Access database to act as an image archive. The basic functionality would be to store a small thumbnail (JPG) image along with the photo information and then be able to search on keywords and descriptions and such to pull up sets of photos as needed. What I would like to do is have the large image file displayed in a window when the small thumbnail is double-clicked. Is there a way to do this in Access? If not, does anyone know of some add-in code or image software plug-in that can be used for this purpose? Also, it would be nice to be able to shell out to Photoshop or some other image editing software if the image in question needs to be printed or edited.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image Database (Access 2000/XP)

Hi Tim,

I'm sure that others will have different things to say about your request, but I imagne that all will agree that storing images in an Access database is a bad idea. Rather, you should store path names and link to your image files. The Access format will suffer from terrible bloat and be much more prone to corruption if you store more than a few files in it.

Regarding having smaller images that can be clicked to launch larger images, the answer is yes. As for launching a specific graphics program, the answer is also yes.

The way I have done this is by having a small picture object on a form, then change the path of the image using the OnCurrent event of the form. Also, in the OnClick (or OnDoubleClick) event of the picture, use the Shell command to launch your graphics program with the path of the picture as a parameter... That would be something like "C:Program FilesJascPaint Shop ProPSP.EXE" "C:My DocumentsMy PicturesPicture1.jpg"

Double check the placement of quotes - I didn't have time to test it...

Hope this helps!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image Database (Access 2000/XP)

As MarkJ said, you definitely don't want to store images in the Access database. Depending on how you want to acquire the images and how you want to edit them, there are a variety of ActiveX controls that you can purchase that will help handle imaging. YOu can even use the Windows controls (in Win98, they are the Kodak IMaging controls).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.