Lounger
    Thanks

General XP Questions (XP Professional)

I need to know if Windows XP Professional is backward compatible with Windows 98 2ns Edition in terms of Microsoft Word97. So would documents generated by Windows XP be readable by the Windows 98 machine and vice versa or no? Would it make any difference if you had Word 2000? Also, If one has two computers is it so that you have to buy 2 copies of XP and have each activated or can you buy one copy and pay additional activation fees for a second. My understanding that even if one was inclined it is now impossible to load one copy on both machines as the activation takes into account the hardware configuration of each device. Thanks for any info!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: General XP Questions (XP Professional)

Windows XP and/or Win98SE don't have any impact on your Word documents. However, if you DO create a document in Word 2000 for example, and you want it to be "readable" by Word 97 you have to choose the File Type for Word 97 in the SAVE AS box from within Word. As far as I know, it doesn't matter which OS is which, it's the saving process in Word that matters.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Taos99,

If one has two computers is it so that you have to buy 2 copies of XP and have each activated or can you buy one copy and pay additional activation fees for a second.

No matter how many computers you have you have to be legal with each one. That means buying separate copies of the OS (in your case - XP) and in most cases all the software you are running. Now I
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's an article about Windows XP Family licenses