New Lounger

Computer locks up opening any document (Word 2000)

Word 2000 in office has suddenly taken a dislike to me. Whenever I try to open a word document, the computer hooks up and I have to reboot. Spreadsheets etc I can open ok, I have had this problem before and I think it could be something to do with the data registry, any ideas please?

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Computer locks up opening any document (Word 2000)

Diagnostic questions:

(1) Will Word start up from a program icon or from the Start menu and create a new blank document okay?

(2) Will Word start up without add-ins and global templates running? Check this by going to Start, Run...

winword.exe /a

If neither of the above works, you might have to reinstall Word or clear your data key. The data key is a blob of data in the Registry that stores certain Word options and preferences. Phil explained how to find and delete it in <!post=Post #148410,148410>Post #148410<!/post>.

If you can run Word without add-ins and global templates, try the following general troubleshooting steps:

<UL>(a) Rename all templates on your computer (e.g.,;

([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Rename all templates in your WordStartup folder (e.g., change the extension to .dog) or move them into a different folder temporarily. There may be multiple Startup folders, and their location may vary with the version of Windows you are running.

When you start Word, it will create a new template, which you should save, if prompted to do so. You then can add the add-ins and global templates back as needed or one-by-one until you find the problem.[/list]If you cannot open a document even with all of the above, then possibly there are customizations or corruption in the documents themselves. That would call for more digging!