2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Show off your main switchboards, need design ideas (2002/SR-1)

Hello All,

Since I'm no artist, I was hoping to get some design ideas from all of you. I've always had trouble with form layout.
    I want a professional looking switchboard instead of just a standard flat form with buttons to access the forms and
    reports ect...
    So if any of you artist are willing to display screenshots of your work to give me ideas, and if needed give a brief explenation
    of how it all works, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show off your main switchboards, need design ideas (2002/SR-1)

A switchboard can look like anything you want it to. What kind of an application are you building and what does the switchboard need to do? I've usually found the switchboards created by the Switchboard Manager to be adequate, if uninspired.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Charlotte mentions, the standard Switchboard created by Access is adequate but dull. However, once it's been created, you can modify it any way you like, for instance replace the standard picture by a custom picture, modifying fonts, colors etc. You must not change the design of the existing fields in the Switchboard Items table, otherwise the wizard won't be able to let you edit the switchboard.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninspiring! But it works.

The <A target="_blank" HREF="http://courses.mgmt.dal.ca/comm3516/access_2000_sampledb.htm">

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The sample databases that come with Access/Office also contain examples of switchboards, and you can download the Orders and Solutions databases here, which gives you some additional examples.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've found some really neat switchboard ideas from the templates on Microsoft's Template Gallery website.

I borrowed the idea from one of them (but I can't exactly remember which, but I think several had the same format). I tweaked the functionality quite a bit for my project, but I kept the basic look that Microsoft created (see screen shot). Notice how the menu item changes on mouse over (and the gray bar on the left that follows the moused-over item). I thought that was a neat trick at first, but it's quite simple, really...

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images