New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost access to word file (word 2000 sp1)

I was using word 2000 under win XP home edition when the power was cut to my entire appartment block. When the power came back on, I tried to open the word document I had been working on at the time and I couldn't. I tried to open it and got a message saying to check the file property settings (all normal) and also to try opening it using th file/open dialogue. No success with either of these approaches. I also tried importing it, same result. I also tried importing it into Star Office and other apps (wordpad etc.) all with the same result. Is there any way I can regain access to this file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lost access to word file (word 2000 sp1)

It may be fried but have you tried File>Open with the 'Recover text from any file' option in the file types area.

You may want to look at your temp directory for files around the relevant date.

Make sure you remember to turn off the 'Recover text' option next time you use File>Open though. It's a sticky setting.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost access to word file (word 2000 sp1)

If the power was cut, you probably have temp files lying around, including an "owners file". The typical symptom is to have a message that the file is in use & asking you if you want to be notified when it's available. In additon to anything else, do this:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type
    ~$*.*
    in the "named" box & search.

Then delete them. You may also find other temp files on your drive. Once you make sure that you have the latest version of your files that were open when the power went off, make sure all your applications are close (Ctrl+Alt+Del everything except systray & Explorer), do a search for

*.tmp;~*.do?;~*.wbk

& delete all these files.
    Cheers,