Thread: System Freezes

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Freezes

I have a system with WIN 98 SE, a 6 GB hard drive, 96 MB RAM and a Celeron 500 MHZ processor. When I let the system "sit" for a period (30 - 60 minutres) , it totally freezes. CTRL,ALT & DEL do nothing. The system is completely frozen. I need to use the RESET button to get it started again. I thot it might be overheating so I took the sides off the case and put a small fan to blow onto the components. But the dang thing still freezes. I have run SCANDISK and DEFRAG. I have the power settings set on ALWAYS ON and to NEVER for turning off monitor and hard drive. Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Freezes

Hi Trebor:
    In addition to those settings, I notice that, under ScreenSaver/Settings, I have a "System Standby" box. This should also be set to "Never".

Hope this helps,

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Freezes

Hi
    In my opinion, these 'Power Management' features on a desktop PC are a waste of time. Switch everything to 'never' or 'none', save the settings, then on next boot access the BIOS and turn 'em off in there as well. Many users these days leave their systems up and running permanently, and don't even switch off overnight. Modern CRT phosphors do not have the 'burn' problem (text being indelibly imprinted to the screen) that earlier ones had , but if that worries you, switch off the monitor display if it is to be left for any length of time.
    Rgds