Thread: Send mail (OE6)

Lounger
    Thanks

Send mail (OE6)

I am running Outlook Express 6 on Win98 SE.
    I am having problems with Send Mail direct from the Address Book
    If I open my Address Book, right click on a name, >Action>Send Mail - I then get the following message:

The Address Book could not locate an email client it could invoke.
    The Address Book uses the Simple MAPI protocol to send mail. If your email client provides an option to let it handle Simple MAPI calls, please turn on this option from the email client and then try again.

Can anybody tell me how to correct this.
    Thanks in advance
    John

Thanks

Re: Send mail (OE6)

In Internet Explorer, under Tools|Internet Options...|Programs, what is listed for E-mail? (I'm not sure this is the Simple MAPI client, but it's my best guess.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express is listed in IExplorer. But...if I got to Outlook Epxress>tools>options>general , under the Default Messaging Programs the two "Make Default" buttons for "This application is the default mail handler" and "This application is the default news handler" are both greyed out.
    So how do I make OE6 the default mail/news handler?
    It's not as if Outlook Express will not work - it works insofar as I can send and receive email, but I can't open a Create Mail window directly from the Address Book - all I get is the error message described in my first post.

John

Lounger
    Thanks

I found the solution in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I am posting the answer here for others who may be interested, the article is Q306098 and the URL is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q306098.
    Several fixes are described in this article and I quote directly from the MS article to describe the fix I used:

Start Registry Editor; click Start, click Run, and then type regedit.
    Locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsMailOutlook Express
    In the left pane, click Outlook Express. Two values should be displayed in the right pane: one is Default, which has a value of Outlook Express, and the other is DLLPath, which contains the path to Msoe.dll on your computer.
    If the DLLPath value is not present, click Edit, point to New, and then click String Value.
    New Value #1 is displayed, with the text selected. Type DllPath, and then press the ENTER key.
    Double-click the new DLLPath value to open it. In the Value Data box, type the path to the Msoe.dll file on your computer, for example:
    :PROGRAM FILESOUTLOOK EXPRESSMSOE.DLL
    Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Works like a charm now.

John