Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reqest for Help: Need to ensure a Regional Settin (97)

Good Afternoon All

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I need some help with the following puzzle: "How do you ensure that Regional Settings are configured correctly?"

This stems from a need for a database where a user types in a date range they want in the format dd/mm/yyyy
    - If (For whatever reason) they are configured for American regional settings (When they will definatley be in the UK [img]/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) this will swap the value entered into mm/dd/yyyy - This ruins the data entered.

The solution would be to be able to test a users System setup to see what they are set up for and to change them into British Regional settings (If appropriate)

Any advice on how to do this? Mods: Would this thread be better of in the VB sections?

As always your help and comments are gratefully recieved

b

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reqest for Help: Need to ensure a Regional Settin (97)

I think it would be very confusing for users to change the Regional Settings programmatically. These settings affect all Windows applications, not just your Access database.

You might consider some alternatives:
    (1) Create separate text boxes for Day, Month and Year, with clear labels. If the date needs to be stored, you can do that in the AfterUpdate event of the form. Use the DateSerial function to combine Day, Month and Year into a single date value.
    (2) Use a calendar control for date input.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I have lots of workarounds and I know it's not the friendly thing to do but I really need to force them into changing their settings...

I'm just at the end of my tether - I ask nicely and people still won't do a simple thing like check their regional settings before calling me to complain!!! (Start - Settings?!?! I'm not technical - Your database is obviously at fault here!!!)

I suppose a message box along the lines of "This database will not function until you change your settings" would be good enough. These people should have British settings (They are based in the UK after all !!)

Anybody know how to test the regional settings? If anybody has two minutes to spare and some code to CHANGE regional settings - I'm all ears!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can't help you there, I'm afraid. Let's hope one of the Windows API gurus reads this...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why not simply use an input mask or use the beforeupdate event of the control they type the date into to handle it? Dates have to be converted to US format anyhow to use in SQL, and it isn't hard to format the dates in a query and compare the format you need in the criteria. Changing system settings will earn you calls from system administrators, not just disgruntled users.
    Charlotte