Thread: Stuttering DVD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuttering DVD

W2k, AMD 1600+, 256 SDR, Inno 3D 32Mb GeForce Mx400, Liteon 16x DVD-ROM, using s/w bundled with the Inno 3D(?) PCI video card.

Tried a run 'o' the mill movie DVD disk and it pauses for breath every few seconds. I remembered some advice a while ago about the DMA setting of the IDE Controller(s) in Device Manager so I enabled that and rebooted. Still the same.

I've had a look on the Liteon site for a driver update, but as luck would have it, the area I need is under construction.

Anyone got any pointers on this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Stuttering DVD

What motherboard/chipset are you using?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wylly,

It's a Elite K7S5A with SiS735 chipset.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this.

First thing I would do is to look for the chipset drives, specifically the IDE Busmaster. I didn't see one at ECS' site (http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.t..._driver_k7s.htm) but SiS may have one.

Also make sure that you have the very latest video card drivers. It's hard to determine where the bottleneck is but this mainboard has gotten very favorable reviews from what I can see. It may also be an effect of whatever DVD software you are using. Have you tried an alternate DVD application to see if it's application related? When I had this problem it was solely due to the poor engineering of the ALiMAGiK 1 chipset, which is a real lemon, and it was worse under Windows 2000/XP than under 98.

It would also be worth your while to contact ECS via email and ask them if they have any suggestions. Every once in a while, a piece of hardware doesn't agree with a motherboard - I've had issues with NetGear's NIC cards on an ECS board, and NetGear lost me as a customer when they blew off my detailed explanation. Funny how swapping out the NIC resolved all manner of system problems. It's a thought, albeit a longshot. Do the Driver Shuffle first and see if it helps!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that.

I had another look at the problem and connected the drive as slave on the Primary IDE and again ensured DMA was set. The quality improved, but now the audio is wobbly and the picture occasionally freezes but is slightly better. There is now nothing connected to the Secondary IDE.

I updated the video driver as soon as I'd installed the board, but I'll follow your advice regarding the alternate DVD application. Other than that, audio quality is perfectly fine in i.e. WinAmp, and every other app that contains extensive use of graphics performs well.

The adventure continues...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the DVD was on the secondary IDE did you have it set as Master or Cable Select? Also, what resolutions do you have the video card set at? Did you try another movie? How about CD-R & CD-RW? What about audio?
    I know this is a lot of questions but it should point toward a more specific direction.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kent,

When it was on the secondary, it was the Master.
    Resolution is set to 16-bit 1024x768, 75Hz from what I can remember.
    I tried a couple of different disks, but had problems with both. I haven't tried a standard audio CD yet.

As this machine has now been given to the birthday girl, (along with an explanation about the poor DVD playback), I'll have to wait for a couple of days before I can get over there and try some of these ideas. She's happy enough that her Harry Potter game works fine.