4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another add-in question (Powerpoint 2002)

I just read all the post for the add-in question. Mine is a little simpler. I have several macros in a ppt. I save it as a .ppa and it puts it in the right folder. Then i open a new presentation, use the add-in manager, check it, and click OK. I don't have access to the macros, they are not there. My security is set to LOW and nothing else seems amiss. Do i have to change something in my registry to make the maros available to other ppt's?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Another add-in question (Powerpoint 2002)

JHA,

From what I have seen, macros that are part of an add-in are NOT available thru the Tools | Macro command. The add-in itself is also NOT visible in the ppt VBE (at least from what I've seen in ppt 97 and 2000; can't speak to 2002 but would think it's the same).

Since you read the other thread, which I started, you'll see one of Gary Frieder's responses that included links to 2 MS KB articles. The one on Q222737, if I recall correctly, shows another piece that is necessary: you need an AutoOpen and AutoClose macro as part of your add-in. The sole job of these is to add/remove buttons somewhere on a menu/toolbar so you can activate the macros (the ones that do the real work) from within ppt. The Q222737 article shows how to add these under the Tools menu on the main menu. I preferred to create a new main menu item called "Fred's Add-Ins" and put buttons on that menu. My reasoning was that by "hiding" the buttons under Tools, you might forget they were there. In your case, if you have a few "real" macros, you might want a "JHA's Add-Ins" and put buttons under there.

Also, you don't really need an AutoClose if your Auto-Open checks to see if the menu items are already present. If you don't do this check, then you'll end up with duplicate items. All will activate the same macros but you may run out of room on your toolbar/menu bar. So it's probably safer to use both.

Lastly, since I had not played much with ppt VBA, it was not immediately obvious to me how to add a new main menu item. I did finally struggle thru that. My code for AutoOpen and AutoClose could probably use a little cleaning up. If you need the code, I can post that. If you clean it up, I'd appreciate another posting. For example, one could check, in AutoOpen, the main menu bar to see if the "xxx's Add-Ins" item is there; similarly for the items within the "xxx Add-Ins" menu (assuming the main item existed).

HTH.

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the info. Yes, please post your code and i will work with it and send u what i find out. thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

JHA,

Here's the code for AutoOpen and AutoClose:

<pre>Option Explicit

Sub Auto_Open()
    '
    Dim BarsCollection As CommandBars
    Dim NewMBItem As CommandBarControl, NewSubMenuItem As CommandBarControl
    Dim MBControlsCount As Integer

Set BarsCollection = Application.CommandBars
    MBControlsCount = BarsCollection("Menu Bar").Controls.Count

'create new menu item called "Add-Ins" for Menu Bar
    Set NewMBItem = BarsCollection("Menu Bar").Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, _
    Before:=MBControlsCount + 1)
    NewMBItem.Caption = "Fred's AddIns"

'create subitem on Add-Ins menu
    Set NewSubMenuItem = NewMBItem.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1)
    NewSubMenuItem.Caption = "Add Notes Index"
    NewSubMenuItem.OnAction = "AddNotesIndex" 'refers to dummy sub below
    End Sub

Sub Auto_Close()
    '
    Dim MBItem As CommandBar, MBControl As CommandBarControl

'Get an object reference to the Menu Bar
    Set MBItem = Application.CommandBars("Menu Bar")

'Loop through the commands on the tools menu
    For Each MBControl In MBItem.Controls

'Check to see whether the menu item exists
    If MBControl.Caption = "Fred's AddIns" Then
    'if want to remove just "Add Notes Index", need another loop
    MBControl.Delete
    End If

Next MBControl

End Sub

Sub AddNotesIndex()
    '
    'this is your routine that does the real work

End Sub

</pre>

HTH. Post back if you make any improvements.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> macros that are part of an add-in are NOT available thru the Tools | Macro command

Thank you! I was puzzled! (PPT97/SR2)