New Lounger
    Thanks

set dirty (Word 2000 SR1)

There used to be a way to set a page dirty by default---I want it to save a document after I print it (not necessarily change it otherwise). For some reason, Word seems to be doing this randomly, rather than consistently (some documents, created with the same template, will set dirty after printing, and some will not). I used to know how to do this (back in the olden olden days of long ago; but don't know now. Anybody have a clue?

Kris

Thanks

Re: set dirty (Word 2000 SR1)

Generally if Word wants me to save after printing, I assume it's because there is a field somewhere in the document and the option to update fields when printing is set (it doesn't matter that the field is updated to be the same as before). So if there's a file name field in the footer or something, it happens. Could you put a harmless field somewhere - maybe a print date formatted as hidden text if you don't want it to show?

Word 2000 seems to have a habit of sometimes asking if you want to save changes to a document you are closing even if you know you have just saved it already. I seem to recall a thread about this some time ago but don't remember there being a complete resolution to it.

Might one ask why you want it to do this, anyway?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, good idea (fake field). It's an accounting thing, kind of. I have some fifty reports to update every month, each report gets its own file. Some of them need only be printed again (a subset of the fifty, and no, it isn't always the same files), and if Word will be kind enough to set the date when I print those, I can sort by oldest date as I access them, and know which of the fifty I've printed without thinking too hard (i.e., if it's printed or otherwise altered, it will go to the end of the queue). Capische?

And, actually, I believe you're right; because some of the files have a second page, with a header that has a page number field in it. Brilliant!

Thanks

Glad to be able to help!

Ian

Thanks

The substitute VBA code for the WordBasic SetDirty command is

ActiveDocument.Saved = False