2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Footnote numbering...

We have someone here who want's to use the number in the footnote text but does NOT want to use the "." after the number. The only way I see to get rid of the "." is to backspace it out everytime. Am I missing a setting somewhere? It's not part of the numbering set up and it can't be part of the style so I'm thinking it is in the base Word footnote code which is uneditable - at least for me. [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: Footnote numbering...

Normal footnote reference numbers do not have periods. Perhaps this is autoformatting, and can be disabled by disabling autoformatting options relating to lists?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On both my Word 97 and Word 2000 installations, that unwanted period after the footnote number is indeed there.

If you're not getting it in your FNs, then there must be somewhere this default can be set. Can't figure out where though.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have it either. I checked options and compatibility -- nowhere there.

[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]Just a thought... if show/hide is turned on, or if Tools / Options / View / Formatting Marks / Spaces is marked, the character for space can appear to be a period following the reference.
    Karen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Karen,

You and Jeff are soo right![img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

If I'd only hit Print Preview first I could have avoided all this mess.... (paraphrase from "It's My Own Fault" by Professor Longhair)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just imagine how foolish I feel to realize it's not a real "." That's a good one on me. Think as the Word Witch I better get a taller hat to hide my goofs under and bigger broom to sweep them there. [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The lessons I've learned the best are the ones taught through public humiliation![img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The lessons I've learned the best are the ones taught through public humiliation![img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've stopped keeping count of mine own!
    Karen