4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Image Not Printing

Hi,

I grabbed a screen-shot & condensed it to a small size as part of a diagram in Word2000. All normal screen-shots & graphics in this document print fine, except for this one which comes out as a black square.

Pls. advise me a solution so that I can print it out properly. Thanks.

m.q.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image Not Printing

Hi. I'm not much into shareware/freeware, blah, blah. But there's this terrific little program called Snagit that takes screen captures that are 10 times better than Windows Print screen command. You think Windows screen captures are great until you see this tiny little program work. Download it at downloads.com. It's really easy to use.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is not in screen capture - I actually used PSP's capture. The image looks great on screen, but messes up when printing only.

Any other ideas pls. would be appreciated. Thanks.

m.q.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Geeze. Sorry. Not sure. Did you try cut/paste special as picture? What kind of printer? Did you try different graphic options (vector/raster) on printer or print to different printer?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are only 2 options under "Paste Special" in Word2000 for this scrn. shot - to paste as a "Bitmap" or a "Device Independent Bitmap".

With both I get black splodge for the image on the left (I have attached that part of the file for your perusal).

It's a standard HP Laserjet 6 network printer.
    I can't see any option under the printer driver's options to print as vector/raster etc.
    + I don't want to as all the other images (which are bigger) are printing fine & I don't want to affect them.

Pls. advise me if you can think of other ideas.
    Thanks very much,

m.q.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Why not try pasting the image into Photo Editor or Paint and save as a Jpeg and then insert the file in place of the exixting image.

It might be worth a try.

Andrew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried this, but still getting black block I'm afraid.
    What else can I try?

Normally I would expect such behaviour to indicate that memory is low somewhere, most probably in the printer. But the printer is one of the latest of LJ's & has good RAM, my PC is also well-specced.

Pls. help!

m.q.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

For what it is worth both images on the file you posted printed for me. Which one is giving the problem ?.

Try printing as near 100% as possible to see if that works.

Otherwise try to recapture the image with Alt-PrtScr and see if that makes any difference.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The image on the left is the problem one. I guess it must be a HP driver issue then. Thanks for your help.

m.q.

BAM

Although the image size in the document is smaller, the actual size is much larger (8 x 10.67, ~42KB), therefore it takes longer to process/display the image.

First try going to Tools/Options/Print and turning off "Background printing".

If that doesn't take care of it then I suggest using a graphics application to reduce the image size prior to pasting it in Word.

Personally, I would reduce the size of the image(s) anyway since the size of the file larger than necessary. This can lead to document corruption.

As a side note, I noted that the images are inline images placed in text boxes. If this was done to allow the images to float then this is an unnecessary step. Just select the image and on the Picture toolbar, locate the Text Wrapping tool and use "In front of text".
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like Andrew, both pictures printed OK for me on a Lexmark Optra 1855 networked printer. This leads me to suspect a printer problem rather than a document problem.
    Shot in the dark - could it be something to do with the graphics print quality dots per inch set in the printer options?
    Silverback

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used PaintShopPro to reduce it to 10% of the original size & now it prints! However the image is very blurred. Last time I used Word2000's own scaling facility -

Right mouse over image -> Format Picture -> Size -> Scale, but I think your'e telling me this doesn't effectively reduce the image size & an external graphics pakage is better?

But apart from this one, I have not had any problems & the file size isn't that big.

Thanks,

m.q.

BAM

Yes use an external graphics package that can effectively reduce the size of the image.

If you size the image in Word it doesn't reduce the original/overall size of the graphic. It may look smaller but the file size image is still the same. For example if you select your graphic on the left and on the Picture toolbar select the "Reset" command you will see what I am referring to.

As for reducing the size of the image, I have found that smaller increments will hold resolution of the image better. Instead of going 100% to 10%, first reduce to 80%, then 60%, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!