2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the recordsource (VB6)

I am playing with a practice program that I making and need to know how to switch database connections. Currently my DATA member is attached to an Access database, I want to change this so it is connected to an ordinary text file so that any person can use it if they dont have access, I am using the VISDATA addin to create these connections. I can;t seem to figure out how to delete the access database and connect it to a text file instead.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing the recordsource (VB6)

If you use an Access database as the data store for you VB app and you have VB Pro or Visual Studio, you can distribute that mdb with the app and the user doesn't need Access installed. A text file and an Access database aren't anything like the same thing, so when you say "text" file are you talking about XML, delimited text, or something else? You can't just tell the app to use a text file instead of a database without building the code needed to handle the different data source. Even with ADO, you still have to use a different provider, which means different methods and properties. Perhaps if you explain what you're trying to do in more detail, someone can help.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay so how do I make it so that the user does not need Access then?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Pro (or Enterprise?) edition of VB or Visual Studio comes with the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW). You can use this to create an installation package for your application that includes everything needed to run it. If you use an Access database, the PDW will include the DLL's needed to work with the database; they will be installed on the user's PC.

The Package and Deployment Wizard can be run as a stand alone application; you can also load it as an add-in in Visual Basic.