4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There's No Escape

Is there a way to disable the "escape" key? I have a macro that copies a sheet in the workbook and asks for a name for the tab. If the user hits Escape rather that entering text for the Input Box it cause the macro to give a run time error. The code follows:

Dim Message, Title, MyValue
    Message = "Enter A Tab Name"
    Title = "Tab Name?"
    MyValue = InputBox(Message, Title)
    ScreenUpdating = False
    Sheets("Summary").Select
    Sheets("Summary").Copy Before:=Sheets(3)
    Sheets("Summary (2)").Select
    Sheets("Summary (2)").Name = MyValue
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: There's No Escape

You are getting the error not because they press the escape button but because the value returned by the inputbox is null. Just test for a null value in the inputbox return and take appropiate action.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Shelly,

I tried to run your code and nothing is wrong with the inputbox when pressing escape. The error is due to the last line in your code. You want to name a sheet with the contents of MyValue, which is "Escape" at that moment, and this does not work of course. You should add some code that does not allow MyValue to be empty, or which does not allow to rename the sheet if MyValue is empty.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Sherry for this Chinese slip of the tongue.

Just want to add that there is also the Excel inputbox, which can be used very easy as a method of an object:

object.inputbox(prompt, title, default, left, top, helpfile, context, type)

e.g. MyValue = Application.InputBox(Prompt:=Message, Title:=Title, Type:=1)

Interesting here is the Type property, which allows you to select what type of data you want the user to enter. Type:=0 only allows the user to enter a formula, 1 = numeric data, 2 = text, 4 = boolean, 8 = range, 16 = an error value like #N/A and 64 = array. You can also allow multiple data types by combining codes; e.g. 1+2 is a numeric value or text

Pay attention to the following: ScreenUpdating is a method of the Application object. Therefore, it is good programming practice (GPP) to write Application.ScreenUpdating = false
    In some cases, you will experience trouble if you don't put the application object in front of the method.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying that if I use a Type of 2 they will only be able to enter a tab name that is data (alpha, not numeric)?

[i.e. MyValue = Application.InputBox(Prompt:=Message, Title:=Title, Type:=2)]

I did fix the Escape issue by checking for a null MyValue and handling.

I also added the application object in front of ScreenUpdating = False and it works much better.

Thanks.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I fixed it to handle a null MyValue and it works great!

Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Sherry,
    I don't know if what you posted was your entire code, but just in case it was, I'd recommend specifically adding Application.ScreenUpdating = True to the end. According to the MSDN library, Excel 97 and later versions do not automatically reset this value when the code has executed (I'm not actually convinced that's true if the code completes properly, but if there's an error that interrupts it you might have problems)
    Just a thought.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was just a portion of the code and yes, I do have it at the end.

Thanks for the heads-up though. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry,

FYI, you can disable the escape key by Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled

Also, Application.Interactive = False might be of interest to you.

Make sure to read the VBA help file with these two though. If you have some runaway code, you might need the escape key yourself. Also, I believe that Excel does not automatically restore the Interactive property to True, so be very careful.

HTH,
    Mike