2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

error installing 'on first use' components (Office 2k sr1)

Good morning all. I have been running into a problem with the "on first use" components in Word. For background details, our administrative installation was created on a network share with the Custom Installation Wizard. The text converters were set to be installed "on first use". When I attempt to use one of them, I get the "this feature is not available, would you like to install it now?" prompt, to which I reply Yes. Additionally, if I attempt to "Change" my office installation using the Add/Remove Programs wizard, I get the same behaviour.

The behaviour is this: I get a Windows Installer window that indicates:

==============
    The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
    Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'excel.msp' in the box below.

Use feature from:
    c:docume~1melocals~1tempixp000.tmp

OK -- cancel -- Browse
    ============================

The excel file appears to be a hotfix for a print from print preview problem (per KB article Q280825).

Searching on the error message generates a bunch of articles, none of which relate to this situation (they all presume that either I can't browse or the network share is unavailable--neither is the case).

I have tried to simply re-run our network installation package -- same thing.
    I have tried to change and remove Office Pro from Control Panel -- same thing.
    I have tried to install and uninstall from the CD -- same error.

Does anyone have any thoughts?? This is incredibly frustrating; I will never again use this "install on first use" feature, and will instead install everything locally so that we don't have to be messing with this all the time.

Thanks in advance...

klyjen

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error installing 'on first use' components (Office 2k sr1)

There's a problem with Office 2000 and the Windows installer. If Office is installed from a CD you can usually fix the problem by copying the CD1 to the hard drive and then doing a reinstall using that location. WIth an admin installation from the network, I'm not sure what you would/could do. This problem has come up before in this board, so you might try doing a Lounge search to see what solutions have been offered before.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The "Install on first run" option that Office uses for the default installation is one of the biggest nuisances I have ever encountered with installing & maintaining software. In an office setting it tends to create havoc such as you have encountered when the end users try to use something that is not a part of the basic package. I write Office apps for other people in our office and for the first few times I loaded the files onto their computer I was sent hunting for an install CD to "install on first run" this or that "non-standard" feature. I've gotten used to it now, so that every time I have to do some work on someone else's computer the first thing I do is grab the install CD.

My suggestion to you & your IT department is when setting Office up on a new PC is to always perform a Custom installation and at the very top level set everything to run from the hard drive. The install takes a barely-noticeable extra amount of time, and given the high-capacity drives now in use the extra space used is insignificant. The time and inconvenience saved is well worth the investment up front.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

Charlotte, yes, I did search through the WOPR forums, but didn't find anything that ended up being helpful in this particular situation. Pointing it to a CD didn't work; attempting to completely reinstall (from both the network location AND the CD) didn't work; copying certain files and moving them around didn't work. A search of Microsoft's KB yielded equally non-responsive articles.

David--I know! I will never do that again; I will still probably do a network installation, but everything will be installed to run on the local machine except for things I want to lock out, in which case they'll be unavailable. Sheesh. This machine ended up having to be reghosted.

As a side note, our network installation is fine; other machines with the same configuration were able to install the "on first use" features without a problem. I must have at some point done something to this particular machine that disconnected it from all previously existing installation points. Who knows.

Thanks again for your thoughts, all...

jen