Thread: Wierd behavior

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd behavior

A friend asked me to look at his Compaq laptop, running win98. Here's what I found: Whenever you click on anything on the desktop (be it folder or shortcut), a menu flys out asking if you are sure you want to DELETE IT !!!
    Actually it says...."Are you sure you want to remove the folder <foldername> and move all of its contents to the Recycle Bin". Some folders will open when you click on it and then give this message when you close the folder. Other shortcuts that you try to open, just come up with the same message. If you continue to click on the NO (maybe up to 100 times), it will finally stop asking.
    Anyone got an idea ???
    Thanks, Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wierd behavior

My thought is that the button's command was redefined. This is dependent upon the mouse installed, but on my PC (running Windows 98), I clicked Start > Settings > Control Panel, and double-clicked the Mouse icon. From there I clicked the Buttons tab, and verified that the Left Button assignment was set to 'Click (default)'. If your mouse control panel has this option, you might want to consider having a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. I did check the mouse settings and they were correct. Since the person sent the computer in without a mouse, I re-activated the touch pad. Was still doing the same thing. Then I was going to re-boot, figuring that some program had re-configured something. When I hit the Ctl, Alt then the DELETE key.....whoa...it is sticky. I tapped it a few times and it was very slow. I popped the cap off the key and cleaned out the area under the key. I suppose someone spilled something around the key. Sure enough....a happy ending to the problem. Thank you for your help. I will put this one in the memory banks. It was evidently just making contact.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's good to hear! Have a good one.