Thread: shortcuts (vb6)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

shortcuts (vb6)

How do I make it so that my setup.exe file that I create using the deployment wizard will make a shortcut to my program automatically when I install it?

thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shortcuts (vb6)

I mean a shortcut on the desktop..sorry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never tried it with the wizard, but I believe you can find code in the knowledgebase that can be included to run after the setup and create the desktop shortcut. I generally work in Access and creating a desktop shortcut for that isn't worth the effort required when using the wizard. It's difficulties like those that drive most of us to use installers like Wise and InstallShield instead of the packaging wizard.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay that sounds good, my problem is that how would I know which files to include in the package, that is why Iuse the wizard, am just a beginner.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what your question means. Are you aksing how to include a shortcut in your setup's files?

You can't just include a shortcut file in the setup because it won't work on the target machine. You could take a look at MSKB article Q244868, which is actually for the wizard in Office Developer (same wizard, different products) and see if you can adapt the code in it, but essentially the packaging wizard puts shortcuts in the Program menu, not on the desktop. Third party installers have the capability of creating desktop shortcuts when the setup is run.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This is done by modifying the source code of the setup1.vbp of the package and deployment wizard. See this post for a summary and look at the posts in this search for more details. I don't have VB on my computer any more, so I can't give you an exact solution. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>