Lounger
    Thanks

Rich text (HTML) in OE (XP Internet Explorer 6.0)

I seem to have solved my own problem about pasting Word text into OE mail windows.

If I go Create E-Mail / Format / Rich text (HTML), I can paste in Word text without the troublesome quadruple returns between paragraphs. I also can take over the font from Word, and bullets seem to work. At least this all works in trials I have sent to myself via OE, and via AltaVista mail and Hotmail.

I seem to remember, though, that some recipients may have trouble reading Rich text (HTML). Will some have trouble reading special foreign characters (like the German Umlauts)?

This is important, since I don

Thanks

Re: Rich text (HTML) in OE (XP Internet Explorer 6.0)

There's a difference between Microsoft Rich Text Format (RTF) and valid HTML. Why MS chose to name the format ambiguously is a question I can't answer. If it is real HTML, then you're much more broadly compatible than RTF. Of course, text is most accessible...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thaniks for your notes. I'll just continue using the Format / Rich text option in pasting text, until I have trouble.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand you're original question, I guess you are aware all you have to do in a NEW MESSAGE in OE, is to make sure under the word "FORMAT " HTML is selected as the desired reply -. In the event the recipient does not have HTML turned on or prefers simple text, the message you create will automatically revert to whatever format the recipient has selected in their own settings of email. Hope that makes sense to you. When pasting from WORD to OE, if you have HTML selected, then whatever you have pasted over will come up correctly.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, New South Wales. Thanks very much for your reply on Rich Text Format (HTML) in OE work. I have made the change in Tools 7 Options / Send / HTML / HTML settings ( Quoted Printable, the default). This means I don't have to go to Format / RTF (HTML) every time I paste in a Word text into my mail window. I have sent myself test mail: to myself, and to my own AltaVista and Hotmail accounts. The body of the mail texts I receive is ust like the format of my Word text, which is what I was looking for. I was interested to read what you said: "In the event the recipient does not have HTML turned on or prefers simple text, the message you create will automatically revert to whatever format the recipient has selected in their own settings of email." This should eliminate any problem.

Years ago, I heard in some forum, "For God's sake, don't make that HTML setting in OE." But maybe by now most of my recipients (customers) have made the HTML setting and don't have any trouble with my mail. I hope so.

Thanks again.

David, in Lincolnshire, UK

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are most welcome anytime, glad the problem is resolved. Only a short time ago HTML formatting WAS a problem to recipients who only had plain text (mime format) selected, often because they did not know of the alternative, or they had to go with plain text because of a work environment where this is often the default. If the system is an older format which has not been upgraded, the HTML will show up as tags in text along with your message mixed in-between, hence people saying don't use it. Now, any formatting will show up as minor attachments only, with the text plain, in other words not a problem.
    Cheers from the land downunder.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for your confirmation. I feel a lot more confident about using RTF now. In all my trials (to myself, to Hotmail, to AltaVista mail) it looks very good.

All the best