Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kuato

Insert .pdf file into Office application

I want to insert an Acrobat Reader 4.0 (.pdf) file into Word or Power Point or something. The .pdf file is a form that I want to add text boxes to (so I don't have to keep printing it out and filling in manually.) Is there any way to insert the file, or maybe there is a better way to accomplish the same thing? I tried to "select all" but this didn't pick up the graphics.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert .pdf file into Office application

You can't edit a PDF file unless you have Adobe Acrobat, so it doesn't matter what application you insert the file into, you still can't edit it.
    Charlotte

kuato

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't explain properly. All I need to do is get the .pdf file into Word (for example) then I can insert text boxes (from the drawing toolbar) over the fields that require text. I have no intention of editing the .pdf file directly. If the file was a .gif (for example) I could easily use Insert -> Picture -> From File -> {select file}. My question is, is there a way to do something similar with a .pdf instead of a .gif?

Thanks

Just a couple of options (but not ideal)
    Could you scan the pdf to a gif and insert that?
    Some fax software converts the image to a graphic type...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can convert the PDF into a number of other graphic formats, and extract plaintext without graphics if you wish, using Ghostscript (preferable with Ghostview). (Installing both GS & GV is an ugly implementation.)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
    appears to have the necessary tools.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your best bet (though it's low-res) is simply to do a screen capture of the PDF in Acrobat, and paste that into Word.

If you wanted to be fancy you could first paste it into some graphics application to convert it into a more efficient format, e.g. GIF or JPEG. But even if you don't, it should work, and then you can add fill-in boxes.

deB

jdaw1

Like kuato, I also want to insert part of a pdf file into Word.

At home, on my trusty Macintosh, this could be done as follows. Open the PDF file, and print it to .EPS (encapsulated postscript), specifying that it should contain a preview (Mac enhanced usually works well). Move to Word, Insert Picture > From File..., and then use the cropping and resizing tools to adjust. Unfortunately this Word file won't print well to a non-PS printer, so instead print it to a .PS file, and use Acrobat Distiller to convert that to a .PDF file, which is nicely general-purpose. A minor hassle, but worth it for the perfect-quality output.

Can something similar be done on my Windows box at work? It can print to an "Image" format, but I have been unable to discover how to place such a file in word. At a minimum, does anyone know the correct extension for such an Image format?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True not a native PDF file, but if security isn't enabled in the PDF you can copy the text and graphics into Word and make your "own" document out of the PDF. (You can copy all the text at once if you view the PDF in Continuous view.)

[img]/w3timages/icons/2cents.gif[/img]

jdaw1

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but exactly how can one "copy the text and graphics into Word"?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By using the 'Text Select' tool in Acrobat Reader, that's how. You don't get the exact structure you had in the PDF, which is why you need to 'make' it again, but at least you get the content.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

... And it's a 'text' select, so no graphics, I believe.

jdaw1

That's excellent for selecting the text, which can be reformatted in Word. But what about graphics? (I have a UNIX utility that automatically makes many pages of charts in PDF format. On a Mac (previously described) it's easy(ish) to subsequently include such a chart in a Word file; but on a PC? Grabbing text is easy; grabbing charts seems to be nearly impossible.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know what you mean - without the ability to copy graphics, there's often no advantage to being able to do the copy at all!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is what the whole idea about PDF type files is. The author has control over the file. It was designed to make it hard for one to "barrow' anothers work. With the newer versions the author can even prevent one from printing the file. And even if one has Adobe, some PDF files will not open without a password.[img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/witch.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

jdaw1

A fair comment, but it remains true that one can do this reasonably easily on a Macintosh. Surely the accumulated expertise of Woody's friends can't be conceding that the correct solution is to buy an Apple?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast