New Lounger
    Thanks

Remove setup files (XP Pro)

I attempted an install from the CD while booted on a Win98 partition (C. The blank partion was E:. I chose the option to install to E:windows and clicked the "choose drive letter" checkbox.
    Regardless, it copied the setup files to Win98 and puked.
    Now, I get a boot menu when I start Win98 with the option to do the XP setup or windows 98.

How do I get rid of this mess.

Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remove setup files (XP Pro)

I'm afraid that I'm not very clear on what exactly you're trying to accomplish. Can you clarify this for me?

You were using Windows 98, and ran the Windows XP setup program from within Windows 98. When XP setup began, you instructed it to install to drive E:. XP setup then copied its installation files, rebooted the computer, and setup failed? What was the problem with setup, if I may ask? I would certainly think that it has a solution, even if that solution isn't one you want (meaning that you may have to spend $$$ to correct it).

The only way to get rid of the boot menu effectively is to re-install Windows 98. You could also boot with a Windows 98 boot floppy and use the command FDISK /MBR, which should restore the original boot record. What's happening is that XP has modified the boot record on your PC, and made a copy of the original when it replaced it with its own. If you choose 98, the XP boot sector then loads BOOTSECT.DOS, your original boot sector/record and Windows 98 doesn't know the difference; it's as though it's starting right from the hard drive, even though it isn't.

HTH,
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

After the files were copied to C:, and it rebooted, it failed to find some files under F:i386 (I think). F is the CD-Rom with the XP CD. It appeared to not see the CD, so I wanted to start over.
    That's when I noticed the change to win98. I haven't found any obvious Setup folders or files.
    I was hoping there was a simple .INI or .CFG file change I could make. I would rather not reinstall 30Gb of apps+data.
    Maybe if I boot from a win98 floppy and use SYS C: it would fix the boot record.

I should add this is the first time I tried installing from Windows where I didn't intend to overwrite it. Usually I begin from the DOS prompt, or boot from the CD.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

SYS C: will return you to a DOS prompt only. You don't need to reinstall any applications, just re-run Windows 98 setup. It will verify all installation files and the boot record, take between a half hour to an hour to complete, and you're done. This is not a clean installation of Windows and you don't need to format the drive. Why not create the startup disk in Win98, and then boot with it and used FDISK as I suggested in the previous post?

If you want to install XP, try copying the i386 folder to the hard drive, and then boot into DOS. You can run setup from there by changing into the i386 directory and running WINNT.EXE. You'll want to have a boot floppy that includes SMARTDRV.EXE, or setup will take four hours or longer during the text phase.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all the tips.

Actually, I was able to install XP last night by setting the CMOS to boot from CD first. The setup allowed me to choose which partition to install to, etc.
    That's all fine now, despite the usual flakiness (stuff hanging on shutdown).

I'll try FDISK /MBR on the 98 partition as you suggested, and hope it doesn't screw up the partition manager stuff.

Thank again for all the help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

WHoa - if you've got XP installed and you just don't want to see the boot menu, don't restore the boot sector, or you will have to run XP's setup!! What's the ultimate goal - what do you want to achieve?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

To remove confusion, here is the current situation:

Drive 1->Partition 1: Windows 98 with extra boot menu for unnecessary XP setup.
    ->Partition 2: Windows XP Pro (working)

Both Partition 1 and 2 are bootable on their own. When the PC boots, I can choose which partition to boot from (1 or 2).
    XP boots fine from partition 2.
    Win98 boots fine from partition 1 but I get the boot menu for windows or XP setup (which I want to remove).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Gotcha. It seems there is a piece missing, and I'm going to guess that you are using a partition management tool such as Boot Commander to select the partitions.

You can edit the BOOT.INI file that lives in the root of the boot drive, and set the default OS to Windows 98 with a timeout of 0. You'll not see it again after that, and it saves you the risk of possibly screwing up the boot record.

HTH,
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

BINGO!!!

That works. I deleted the wierd named folder referred to in boot.ini also.

Thanks
    Rick