New Lounger
    Thanks

Win3.11Startup Folder

Hi

Does anyone know how to control the order in which apps in the startup folder load? As a second part of this question does anyone know how to delay the starting of a dependant application for several seconds in order to allow the supporting application to initialize. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks and best regards
    GordL

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win3.11Startup Folder

There's no systematic way to do it. What I would suggest is one of two things:

Rename the items in the startup group in a numbered series, such as:

1program
    2program
    3program

To effect a delay, you'll need a small EXE such as SLEEP.EXE (found in the NT 4.0 resource kit) or something like it. You may be better off using the alternate method since you require a timeout - write a small BAT file to launch the applications in the order you choose, and have that batch file refer to your "sleep" utility. SLEEP.EXE may or may not run on Win 3.1, but if you can find it there's not harm in trying. I'm sure you can find something that performs the same in a DOS environment in the vast reaches of the Internet.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or Try this one Delayer . Just download the 16 bit version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Someone else pointed out "Delayer" and it looks like exactly what I need. I appreciate the tip on "sleep.exe" though because I also have similar problems on lots of NT4 boxes. Until now I have used a custom script in the dependent application to work around the issue but sleep.exe would provide a "cleaner" solution.

Best regards
    GordL

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi WyllyWylly

Thanks for taking the time to reply. "Delayer" looks like exactly what I need.

Best regards
    GordL

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be behind everyone but just in case something doesn't pan out with Delayer, here's another one, called Start Delay. It might not be Win 3.1x compatible since I didn't see it mentioned.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks bigaldoc

I installed Delayer on Friday and it worked perfectly in the Win3.11 environment. It is command line driven. No problem for me to use it but it would be difficult for someone not "computer-literate" to use. I plan to download Start Delay and check it out to see if I could email this to my remote users for a "self-install". The startup problem exists in one form or another in dozens of systems that I have deployed all over North America.

Thanks again to all
    GordL