2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ICS (WIN XP Home)

Well, I searched the archives and can't find my problem. So here we go. I have three computers on LAN. They are all running Windows XP Home. One computer is connected to the Internet VIA cable modem. This computer has two NIC's, one for the LAN and one for the Cable Modem. I cannot get the other two computers to connect to the Internet. I have run the network wizard without success.

When I look at the network connections on the two computers that are trying to connect to the Internet via the third I see my Gateway connection to the Internet listed. Status shows they have sent and received data. When I try to use IE it will not connect to the Internet.

What should my connection be in the Internet Options, Connection tab? I have tried the network address of the Internet connected computer, I have tried the name.

Thanks for any help,

Totally frustraed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICS (WIN XP Home)

Just a quick thought (I'm ~20 miles from my XP machine, so I'll have a look later): I'm guessing that in your Network Connections you have an Ethernet card listed for the cable modem, and an additional Ethernet card listed for your home network. Do you have a network bridge in the list somewhere? I seem to recall right-clicking my home network card, and choosing "Add to Bridge" (or something similar). Do the same with the cable modem's card.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This doesn't appear to be the answer. I could be reading the HELP file wrong, it says that network connections that are used for ICS or ICF cannot be part of a bridged connection.

thanks

Bret

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah. That's good to know. Back to square one, then.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm probably coming out of left field here, since you said you have a CABLE modem and I don't (I have a DSL connection). But are you sure you've got the machines all setup correctly as far as your cable providers requirements? The number of folks I know here in my area who are using cable for internet and multi-machine setups, seems to me there are machine name, IP number, etc. requirements. As I said, I'm probably asking you something you've already solved. FWIW, I'd probably give up on ICS and buy a router.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You don't need to use a proxy in the Internet Explorer setings. In the Internet Options, Connection tab click on the Lan Setting button. Then makes sure that the checkboxes labelled "Automatically detect settings" and "Use a proxy server for your LAN" are not checked.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi folks, for what its worth, I have found proxy server settings upset many online functions, I am absolutely NO EXPERT here, but since I am using different computers with 3 different O/Systems (98 SE, ME, XP Home) each machine has played up when proxy settings are involved. Please don't clobber me if this comment is not relevant to the thread. :-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No joy here either. I have tried all the suggestions and still can't get it to work. Both computers see the broadband connection. But for whatever reason they will not connect on it.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

Bret