Lounger
    Thanks

Word opens in different zoom sizes (Windows XP / Word XP (Word 2002))

Since installing Windows XP / Word XP (Word 2002), I've had the annoyance that Word does not open in the same zoom size when I go back to a previously used file. I use some Word files every day, and when I open them for the first time in the day, they are sometimes zoomed much larger or smaller or larger than the last time I worked on them. Didn't have this trouble with previous versions of Word. Any help?

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word opens in different zoom sizes (Windows XP / Word XP (Word 2002))

I'm finding (bear in mind, this is only my second day on XP) that the zoom size in my Word documents varies according to whether or not the task pane is showing. If you look under the zoom size dropdown, there is a setting for "Page Width". I really like this setting, because the zoom adjusts so that if the task pane is open, the text doesn't scroll off to the right underneath it. However, if the task pane is closed, the zoom is larger. Could that be part of the problem?

The problem I'm trying to work through is that regardless of whether or not I have show at startup checked in the task pane, it doesn't open automatically when I open Word. That's beginning to annoy me. Has anyone run into this and do you have any thoughts about how to make it behave?

Lee Morgan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If there are any templates in your Word startup folders, then the task pane does not open automatically. Woody talked about this in WOW vol 6, No 32 http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/ar...ate.asp?v6-n32

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggestions on the task pane, Lee. Whether the task pane is open or not doesn't seem to affect the font size upon startup, though. I would like to see the last zoom size I had before closing a particular file. This was the default arrangement in Windows ME. Guess I will have to keep searching. Thanks anyway. Darryl answered your next question, I guess.

All the best on your work with XP. I am very pleased with it myself.

David in Lincolnshire

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That would explain it.

Lee Morgan