Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting ZIP cartridges

On my new computer (Windows XP Pro), I have had trouble inserting ZIP cartridges. When I slip them in, nothing usually happens on the first go. When I try to open or explore the drive, I am asked to insert a cartridge. If I eject and try again, it usually works on the second or third try. Any help!

Thanks!

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting ZIP cartridges

You didn't say what brand the zip drive is, but it sounds like some kind of SLEEP software or setting is in effect for the drive. See if the drive has any utility software installed, like my Iomega does. You should be able to tell it not to go to sleep. I've never had that cause a problem and my Iomega is pretty old, sitting in a Win98 computer. If there isn't some piece of utility software, try right-clicking on the drive and see what properties you can find. Come back, we'd love to hear from you!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, Al. I am using IOMEGA ZIP. You asked me to see if the drive has any utility software installed, like my Iomega does. How do you do that? Looked around, but couldn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My Zip drive came with utility software, but that was long ago. On a couple of occasions, I've downloaded their software again from their web site. If you already have it installed, you should see something, somewhere in your Start Menu structure called "Iomega Tools" or something like that. You didn't say so, but if your Zip drive is as new as the computer, maybe you have a Zip 250 or whatever it's called, huh? See, I am out of touch with what software and/or drivers might be supplied to the user these days, but if you go to their web site you should be able to download the LATEST software. I sure hope, after you go through all this, that the sleep thingie is still there. Funny, mine also had auto eject by default turned on and every time I would boot the machine, the disk would pop out of the drive.

Lounger
    Thanks

It's been a whole week since you wrote me, Al. Sorry for the delay. But in the meantime I followed your advice and downloaded the LATEST IOMEGA ZIP software from the IOMEGA site. My systems engineer coached me through it on the phone.

After getting the software and restarting, it was possible again to explore the drive. Usually on the first try, but sometimes only after an eject and re-insert.

BUT: if I insert or eject the ZIP while Word is running, Word will crash. Every time. Of course, I

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might also want to explore Iomega's FAQ's and support knowledgebase at http://www.iomega.com/support/. I may be wrong, but I doubt that Dell will help you on an Iomega problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that link, Dennis. will try that site.

David