New Lounger
    Thanks

UK Grammar Check and 'Trade Mark' (2000 SR1)

In the UK, 'trademark' is written 'trade mark,' and I'd like to get the grammar check to stop marking it as an error! I've tried installing the Office 2000 Proofing Tools and setting the language, keyboard, and regional settings to English (UK), and still have had no luck. I've discovered I can get it to ignore it by stopping Word from checking Hyphenated and Compound Words (under Tools...Options...Spelling and Grammar...Settings), but that seems a little drastic to me. Is there any way I can get Word's grammar check to use UK settings?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UK Grammar Check and 'Trade Mark' (2000 SR1)

Hi -

Word 97 allows you to exclude words from being checked. This is what Help says (under "Dictionaries"): (Perhaps Word 2K is similar ...)

Specify a preferred spelling for a word

To specify a preferred spelling for a word (for example, "gray" instead of "grey"), add the unwanted version of the word to an exclude dictionary. The next time you check spelling, the spelling checker will question the word so you can change it to the version you want.

1 Click New .
    2 Type the words that you want to put in the exclude dictionary. Press ENTER after each word.
    3 On the File menu, click Save As.

You must save the exclude dictionary in the same folder that contains the main dictionary (usually located in the C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof or C:WindowsMsappsProof folder).

4 In the Save as type box, click Text Only.
    5 In the File name box, type a name for the exclude dictionary.

Make sure to give the exclude dictionary the same name as the main language dictionary it's associated with, except use the file name extension .exc. For example, the English (United States) dictionary is called Mssp2_en.lex, so name the associated exclude dictionary Mssp2_en.exc.

6 Click Save.
    7 Close the file so that it will be available the next time you check spelling.

Tip You can also use this procedure to find correctly spelled words that you want the spelling checker to question (for example, if you often type "widow" when you mean to type "window"). After you add "widow" to the exclude dictionary, the spelling checker will question it the next time you check spelling.

Hope this helps, or points you in the right directions.

Curious

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UK Grammar Check and 'Trade Mark' (2000 SR1)

That prevents it from being spell checked, but, sadly, not from being grammar checked.