New Lounger
    Thanks

Keyword Search from Switchboard (97)

Hi all,
    I've searched for this (fairly basic) question on the boards and in the Access help, and I haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I have a table which includes a field that has subject keywords in it. I'm setting up a basic switchboard for the ultimate users, and I'd like one of the items to be a 'search by keyword' option. I know that I can create a report to generate when the switchboard item is chosen. I know that I can create a query from which the report is generated. But how can I allow the user to enter a keyword to search by? Do I need to create some kind of popup window from a macro, and if so how?

Also, is there an easy way to change the look and feel of the switchboard generated by the switchboard manager? I know it's a form and can be manipulated, but I was looking for an alternative template that I wouldn't have to reformat extensively.

Thanks for any suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keyword Search from Switchboard (97)

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.aadconsulting.cjb.net/">There

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can tweak the switchboard any way you want to, but if you start adding other kinds of controls to it, you have to be prepared to write your own code to manage them and you'll no longer be able to rely on the Switchboard Manager to maintain the switchboard. There's no "alternate template" for the switchboard created by the manager.

As for a keyword search, what you do depends on what you want to do. Where are you displaying the results of the search, in a form, a query or a report? If in a query, use a parameter query. A report, use 1) a parameter query OR 2) a popup form that you either refer to in the parameters of the report's underlying query or that passes a WhereCondition to the report in the DoCmd.OpenReport call.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should stick w/ the Switchboard Manager switchboard for now in order to avoid problems.

Charlotte, the parameter search is exactly what I was looking for. But how do I use wildcards within the criteria field? The field I'm searching has multiple keywords in each entry (e.g. "form, policy, leave, human resources") My original criteria was "*form*" which would give me all entries w/ "form" in the keyword field. Entering "[Enter keyword to search for:]" in the criteria field and then typing "form" in the popup gives no results (b/c it's looking for a field containing only "form", presumably). Entering "*[Enter keyword to search for:]*" gives *all* entries back as results, so obviously the wildcard is not acting like I would expect it to.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You may have to make up your mind how you want it to behave. If you want to return everything that contains the string "form", no matter where it might occur in a string try this in your criteria line:

<pre>Like "*" & [Enter keyword to search for:] & "*"</pre>

Anything like this you try will only allow search on one keyword at a time, however, not a list.
    Charlotte