2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edit registry (VB6)

how do i specify the registry path in specific, if you look at the registry, most major programs have there own folder in the registry and then there settings within that folder. I would like to mimic this. I want my program to create its own folder and then the individual settings within that folder, right now my program puts all the stuff into HKEY_CURRENTUSERsoftwarevb and vba program settingsmy prgrams name..and then all the settings, O would like to put it in the same place but without the vb and vba program settings part. Please advise

thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edit registry (VB6)

The best way to manipulate registry settings to create your own specific software keys is to use a class object, which I have attached (I've had to be sneaky and change the extension to .TXT. Simply change it back to .CLS when you download it). You can reuse this in any projects you create and your software keys will all be located in the same place.

If you look in the function 'TransferValueEx', you will see I have set the full key to...

sFullKey = "SOFTWAREMYPROGRAM" & App.Title & "" & sKeyName

If you change 'MYPROGRAM' to whatever you require, this is where all your registry settings will be stored. Here is a quick example on how to use the object to create a new string entry in the registry.

Dim cReg As New Registry
    cReg.TransferValueEx REG_TRANSFER_WRITE, False, "Test", "Test", REG_SZ, "1", "1"

Have a look at the class to see how the different parameters are used...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is the normal location for vb/vba based apps when you install them. There's usually a separate key for the named program under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware hive. You control the registry setting created through the paths you enter in the packaging wizard.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

okay, I will try this out, another thing I have noticed is that when I uninstall the program using windows add/remove utility, the registry does not delete this folder, so if i install the program again it responds different. how can I make it go away after.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You probably don't want the keys removed on a client machine, but if you want them removed on the development PC, just edit the registry and delete the keys for your program from both the CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_MACHINE hives. Very few programs are completely removed by uninstall.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this. I have made use of it in a small utility whose birth is announced <!post=here,468072>here<!/post>