5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost records (Access XP and Win 98)

We have lost data. Luckily we can retreive all but about ten days. Concern is why it happened.

We have a Service (4/2/2002 to present) and ServiceArchive (4/2/2001 to 3/28/2002) table there is records missing from both tables. I don't remember if we just copied and pasted to created the ServiceArchive and then delete or if we did it with queries. I think the former. But at the time we know we had the appropriate number of records. But at that time didn't look at the Autonumbers for holes in data. Also the Client Id number has changed on all but 86 records. They are to be X-######. The X- is missing.

At the same time we archived about 10 staff members.

Originally when I created the database there was relationships on the Relationship grid. But after several transfers those are no longer there. I just realized that todayI I don't think I made the staff member cascading delete. I am real sure I didn't! Also in the remaining data there are records for staff who got archived. There is data missing from both active and nonactive staff.

The material has been scanned for virus and is clean.

The user reports for the last three weeks another program has crashed her computer numberous times and that this database may have been open. Also the program that has crashed/frozen has an Access base.

Question: Data can only be removed by manual deleting, query, or cascading deleting of records, am I missing some other way.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Thank you for any and all ideas, thoughts, and help! Fay

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost records (Access XP and Win 98)

I hope you are not relying on missing Autonumbers to detect missing numbers? Every time a new record is started an Autonumber is assigned; but if the user Cancels the add, then that autonumber never gets to the table; the result is an apparent "skipped" record.

One preventative measure is to rethink the cascading deletes. Sometimes, you don't want to allow them. For example, you might have a contact list comprised of customers and prospects. You might not want to allow cascading deletes between this contact table and an Orders table. This prevents deleting any contact that has placed an order.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

The problem is with the AutoNumbers is that we have an older copy of the data and those numbers are there. So there is no question there is significant lost of data.

I don't think I placed any cascading deletes in, but can prove it. If you had created Relationships on the Relationship grid and that grid got cleared or objects moved into a new database would any relationship/cascading deletes still be in play?

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Relationships are local to the home database of the tables. If you moved a table elsewhere, it would lose any relationships to tables in the previous database, if that's what you're asking. If you are archiving by cut and paste, you should have run into problems before this.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte.

So from your comments I feel comfortable that since there was no relationships on the relationship grid ther is no way that a errent cascading delete in part of the problem. Thank goodness.

I am unsure about your last comment. Are you saying I should never cut and paste to archive? If yes, why? I think what we did was make a copy of the service table , sorted by date and deleted the current records.

But this still doesn't answer why intermittent records have disappeared from two different tables.

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean by no relationships "in the grid"? Are you talking about the relationships layout or automatic relationships shown when you put two related tables onto the query grid?

What you're describing isn't "cut and paste", which implies literally "cutting" records from one table and pasting them into another. It *is* a good way to make a mistake though, which is why using an append query with specific criteria is the preferred and safest way to append records from one table to another, if you feel you must do so. I would suspect the approach you're using is the reason some of your records have disappeared, since it also sounds like you're also deleting those "archived" records from your current table. This kind of problem has nothing to do with Access itself, except that it will allow you to do something dangerous.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting a table from the Relationship window doesn't delete its relationships. Click the All Relationship icon on the tool bar; I think that should display everything. Moving a table to another database will, of course, destroy all relationships.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.