New Lounger
    Thanks

Changed Hardware, XP won't run (original, non-SP-1)

Mea culpa. I did not think that...I just didn't think. I installed more RAM and a KVM switch on my AMD 1600+ running XP Pro. Now, when I try to boot to XP, it tells me:
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WindowsSystem 32ConfigSystem.
    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair."

Of course if I boot up in DOS and get the CD running, the Install CD tells me that setup can't work in DOS. Am I totally screwed, or is there really a chance at getting this mythical "repair" option to work?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changed Hardware, XP won't run (original, non-SP-1)

Does it help if you boot to the WXP CD right away, rather than booting into DOS first? Make sure your BIOS setup has your CD-ROM in the sequence before it hits up your hard drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, no. I tried that first, and the system looked at the CD and couldn't find boot information. Mahalo, though.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Since Keely's suggestion is how you set up XP on a blank drive, it might appear that you have on OEM version of the XP disc. If you have a retail version and you have set the BIOS to read CDs first, I can only suugest cleaning your XP disc and trying again. By the way, the changes to the hardware you mention are not 'major' enough to warrant XP being reactivated. I have a feeling something else may be wrong. For NT operating systems, such as XP, you don't need DOS.
    Rgds

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changed Hardware, XP won't run (original, non-

Yeah, I agree with MerC. Adding RAM and a KVM switch should have no impact on XP at all. I just recently bumped my RAM from 128 to 640 with nary a hitch. A KVM switch, at least those that I use, is not even visible to your OS. My KVM is a few years old now, but the only problem I have with it is, if the machine you're booting is not selected on the KVM, your OS will think there's no keyboard or mouse attached.

Now, back to the possible corruption. You never did say - is the CD an OEM or Retail Windows XP? Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changed Hardware, XP won't run (original, non-

The disk is from my brother's small company - I do some work for him, and I believe it's retail.

It starts up just fine in Win98. When I boot to XP the screen reads "Boot from CD:None" with the XP CD in the drive. I can see it looking. And when I first installed, I was in Win98 and the CD ran me through partitioning and everything to setup fro dual booting.

One thing I didn't mention is that when scandisc runs now, it gets to 85% then says it's checking cross-linked files on F:, which is my XP drive, and then freezes.

I can get to the screen that offers various boot types by pressing F8, but if I press safe mode I get the following:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windowssystem 32ntoskral.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windowssystem 32hal.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windowssystem 32KDCOM.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windowssystem 32configsystem
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windowssystem 32configsystem.log

and then back to the lines that I originally quoted.

Thanks again.