Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 Will not start (MSIE 6/Win98SE)

I have a tech friend who is having trouble with a customer's computer. He gets an error message telling him that MSIE 6 is having a problem and must shut down. This happens every time he starts MSIE6. He has tried the repair. Unfortunately he cannot uninstall it because there is no entry in add/remove or windows setup other than repair. Does anyone have a clue for either.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 Will not start (MSIE 6/Win98SE)

This might be of assistance:
    How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for note. I think he had already looked in KB.
    Allan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I reckon we ought to have a welcoming message in the Lounge to the effect that 'Users should not be at all surprised if IE6 - based on NT code - is not 100% compatible with DOS based Windows versions such as Win 98' Should save me (and others) from having to say it twice a week.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You are probably right. Too bad he did not bother to read them as well as just looking at them! ;-]
    _________

NOTE: Internet Explorer is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool if you delete the uninstall (or backup) information for the previous version of Internet Explorer.

If Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools is missing from the list of installed programs and you did not delete the uninstall information or install (or reinstall) a Windows 2000 service pack, run Setup.exe from your Internet ExplorerSetup folder. If you are running Windows 2000, run the w2kexcp.exe /u command from your Internet ExplorerIE Uninstall folder. If this does not work, you need to reinstall Windows. For Windows 98 and Windows Me, renaming the Iemigrat.dll file and reinstalling Windows restores the version of Internet Explorer that was included with that version of Windows.