Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Task Scheduler Log?

In the Windows Task Scheduler, under "Advanced" there is a option for "View Log". For some reason, when I click this nothing happens. Is there something I have to enable before being able to view this log?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

Re: Task Scheduler Log?

There should not be.

This should be equivalent to Opening "c:windowsschedlog.txt" in Explorer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Thanks for at least giving me the location of the log file in the Windows folder. So, I opened it with Notepad, and it is empty? Evidently, the logging feature is not working?? Any ideas? hehe

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

Have you actually started it? I start task scheduler automatically and use it to schedule regular maintenance activities.

An entry like this is logged each time it starts.
    <hr>
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 08/10/00 7:15:13 AM
    <hr>

ileacy

You start it by
    a)Run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Scheduled Tasks
    and
    b)Click Advanced|Start using Task Scheduler

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

I have 5 items scheduled in the Task Scheduler to run at various times; each having more than enough time to complete without interferring with the previous item. Each has the "enable this scheduled item to run" checked too. I really don't know what more I can do? hehe Perhaps I am missing something? (thanks for your patience!)

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

There is normally some binary information in the log file. It is possible that your log file is corrupt. I avoid this problem by associating with NoteTab with allow binary on.

To check this:
    a)Use Explorer to navigate to the file and
    -Check its size. A single log entry gives a log of about 188 char.
    -Right-click the file and see if you can QuickView it. If you can, its probably a corruption issue.

b)Open the Task Scheduler and Click Advanced|Stop Using

c)In Explorer, rename the log file to .old. You would have had an access violation if you tried to rename/delete it with Task Scheduler running.

d)Run Task Scheduler again and click Advanced|Start Using.

e)Advanced|View Log should now work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

You are going to hate me! hahaha. .. I checked the log file and it is 32K in size. "QuickView" didn't work; gave an error message saying that it might be locked, etc. This is both the Task Scheduler enabled and disabled (stop working). I then followed your instructions and renamed it and then enabled the Scheduler. The new log file is 186 bytes. I then tried to view it both from inside the Scheduler "View Log", directly from the Windows folder, and also by trying to open it in Notepad. Neither log file opens. IOW, nothing happens; no window opens, nothing???

Any more tricks? This is not only puzzling but exasperating as I really need to view this log to check on something.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

This same kind of weirdness occurs with the PWS (Personal Web Server) log. That one only seems to flush itself to disk when I stop the internet publishing service. Perhaps there a shareware/freeware log viewer you can use in place of the supposedly built-in one. It hasn't been important enough to me to go hunting for one...

ileacy

Ok:
    Back to basics.

First. I am using two special tools to view this log file in addition to "View Logs" which is working anyway in my case. The Tools are NoteTab+ (www.notetab.com) and QuickView+.

I have NoteTab set as my default for TXT,LOG, and Unknown file types. I also have it set to automatically convert binary codes when a file is loaded (useful for viewing but the loaded file must NOT be saved). I have QV+ set to default to hex for unknown file types.

There may be a problem with QV as provided with W9x. Sorry, I don't have a copy available to test with.

Second: This (and the PWS) log files appear to be implemented as max 32K circular buffers. A binary code and marker is set in the files to identify the CURRENT location in the buffer.

The applications keep the logs open in R/W, deny write mode. This is why some applications will get access violations trying to view the log files.

Third: The following will ALWAYS work.

A)Download the attached DUMP.ZIP and extract DUMP.EXE. It can go anyplace. DUMP.EXE is an old (1988) DOS application that dumps the content of any file in hex and text. It is freeware. Usage is "DUMP <filespec8.3> | MORE",
    eg. "DUMP schedlog.txt | MORE"
    in a DOS Command Prompt Window.

Dump requires exclusive access to the file, but, you can use it on your renamed OLD file. <Filespec> must be DOS 8.3.

The "| MORE" pipes the output of DUMP to the standard external MORE. This lets you page through the output.

B)The internal DOS application TYPE can look at the live file while Task Scheduler is running.
    eg. "TYPE schedlog.txt | MORE"

This worked on my system on a new log. It may have problems on an old log if the file is corrupt.

C)The PowerDesk (see Software Finds) integrated view pane may also work. I can not guarantee this because I have QV+ installed and it modifies the default install of the freeware PD. It does work on my system.

Good Luck.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Thanks again! Here's something I discovered last night. I decided to send a friend a copy of this "Schedlog.txt" file, which as you know is inaccessible to me. He was able to read it without any problem. He did a "save as" without altering anything and sent it back to me. Now, I saved this file outside of the C:Windows folder. And I could open it with any of my text applications; no problems whatsoever.

I then moved this file back to C:Windows. I went into the Task Scheduler to see if the "View Log" would now work. Nope.. nada! And, returning to this same file and trying to open it failed with all applications, including PowerDesk.

Further, I made a copy of this file, and renamed it so it had a .doc extension. Opens fine after that. Tried it with a .rtf extension... opens fine that way too. But as soon as I go back to the .txt extension and put it into C:Windows, it becomes inaccessible. I now suspect there is something wrong with the Task Scheduler itself?

Regardless, I'll check the MS Knowledge Base to see if there is a known problem (just love trying to find anything in there!) with the Task Scheduler and/or the "View Log" option.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

The only difference while it is in the C:Windows directory should be that the file is open.