5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Virus Warning (2002, SR1)

We use a proprietary program to collect selected records from Outlook Contacts and then switch to Word where these records are merged with envelopes, labels, etc.

As this program is executed (using and Outlook macro), a warning displays advising that a program is trying to access Outlook email addresses. The user is asked whether to allow this, and the user my elect for how many minutes to allow it.

Is there any way to avoid having this warning appear?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Virus Warning (2002, SR1)

Richard,

I think this is an unavoidable "feature" of the recent Outlook Security initiative. Others may have a method of disabling this, but as I understand it, in Outlook 2000 this was an optional "security patch" that users could apply, but that new versions of Outlook (e.g. 2002) have it included by default and it can't be changed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that's what I understood. The odd thing about this, though, is that if you say NO to disallow access, everything proceeds in the same fashion as if you say YES. The data is collected from the Outlook Contacts, the data file is created, etc. etc. I think I'd have to say that the "security patch" is ineffective. But everyone probably knew that.

Richard

Thanks

Richard,
    You can program around the security patch using Extended MAPI or you can purchase the Redemption library (see <!post=this post,146607>this post<!/post> from Charlotte).
    FWIW.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are on Exchange server and want to administer this kind of activity or control file attachment security centrally, you might want to check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm for the MS toolkit. We haven't done this because we're still on Exch. 5.5 and there is no efficient way to manage user access to the application. Might work for you, though.