New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt .pst file

Is there any way of repairing a corrupt .pst file?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt .pst file

There is a tool called Inbox Repair Tool. It can sometimes be found in Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools but this appears to be an installation option. If it isn't there, search for file scanpst.exe
    Then point the wizard at the offending file.
    Good luck
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I've tried that and it hasn't come up with any errors. The problem is that Outlook keeps crashing and removing the .pst file stops this happening. It was working fine yesterday. Any ideas? I thought about compressing it but the size hasn't increased that much since it last worked.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What Outlook are you using and in what mode is it running? (Help | About Microsoft Outlook)
    If it's corporate mode, try removing the personal folder service linked to the corrupt file (this should stop Outlook crashing), then creating a new Personal Folders service linked to a new file. Finally, try importing the contents of the old (corrupt) .pst file, perhaps a folder at a time (File | Import and Export...)
    Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry
    Silverback

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

any error message on the crash? have doc watson log a crash and see what dlls etc. you may need the load outlook with cleanreminders similar switch.

Switches are listed in help and some are here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/1/80.asp>Q197180</A>

layla

The dates on this board seems to be all messed up so I am not sure how long ago you posted the original message. But I might have a solution for you.

How large is the pst file. Does it contain thousands of messages. MS has a limit on the size of pst file. Once you reach that limit Outlook starts crashing when you attempt to use the pst file.

I had a similar problem and after doing a search on technet I found out that Outlook has a limit of 16000 items or I think a 2GB size. In my case the user had been saving messages from years and years and thus he had reached him 16000 items limit though the size was about 300MB. They way I corrected this is I exported messages older than a year to a second pst file. So I split the pst file in two. As soon as I did that, Outlook stopped crashing.

Hope this helps.