New Lounger
    Thanks

Force task to start on a specific day (98 / SR-1)

I have a task that is a trip to the client's office. How do I force that to start on a Monday without specifying a particular date? More generally, how can you force a task to remain unsplit by weekends and holidays?

Thanks, Dan

Thanks

Re: Force task to start on a specific day (98 / SR-1)

- To have a task remain unsplit by weekends and holidays, you will need to create a different calendar assigned to the task. Typically, the standard calendar is assigned to each task by default. Create a new, 7 day calendar without holidays and assign the 7 day calendar to the task.

- As to forcing the start of a task to start on a Monday without specifying a particular date.... I will have to think on this and get back to you.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response, Gary, but I think I wasn't clear enough regarding the second, general, question. The problem is that I don't want a task to start unless it can be completed in a given workweek. In other words, a three-day task should not be allowed to start on a Thursday or Friday, for example. It should be delayed until the following Monday.

The first question I asked (and which you didn't know the answer) is actually not very useful. I'd rather not specify a day-of-the-week start as much as I want to specify that a task be delayed until it can be completed within a regular work week.

I'm really kind of surprised that the intent of this question seems to evade the people that I've asked at my workplace. Is it that unusual to schedual a task such as 'Visit Client to Present Results'? Or does it not bother people to have a three-day meeting occur on Friday-Monday-Tuesday? It seems to me that there might be many processes that one would not want to be split by a weekend - but that weren't urgent enough to have everyone work through their weekend to accomplish.

Am I that far out in left field here?

Thanks

... No, I don't think you are in left field. Most people won't give this a second thought until you present them the schedule that indicates the meeting will be Friday, Monday, Teusday unto which they will say, "Can't we schedule the meeting to occur during a given week????"

The schedule provides valuable information as to how things are going. Regarding the meeting, the schedule will tell you approximately when the meeting should take place. (I am sure the personnel attending the meeting will be smart enough not to schedule the real meeting on Friday, Monday, Teusday) I would not worry about showing the meeting occurring over three days, even if over a weekend. You could probably write some code to do what you are asking but don't see what value that would add because it is unlikely that the meeting will take place on the day the schedule indicates.

Again, the schedule will tell you approximately when the meeting should take place. Those attending the meeting will set the actual dates which will then be reflected in the schedule when the schedule is statused.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)