New Lounger
    Thanks

cross-reference (2000)

I have a file with cross-referenced bookmarks - so information from the first page is automatically updated in the header of the second page. The information is in a table and I bookmarked the whole cell so people accidentally don't delete the bookmarks. But that makes the text in the second page header come in double spaced, there is a return after each line that I can't get rid of. Any ideas what's causing it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cross-reference (2000)

Hi magda:
    Because you've made the bookmark refer to a table cell, Word is inserting a table, which includes a paragraph mark. Quite frankly, I haven't figured out why the paragraph mark is above, rather than below the table. You can see this if you have Tools/Options/View/field sharding set to always. The paragraph mark is part of the field which refers to a table.

Depending upon what you ultimately want, you might be able to get results by making a protected form with dropdown formfields & REF fields. Then users wouldn't be able to delete the fields (or bookmarks). You might also be able to fill out bookmarked areas by using ASK or FILLIN fields.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm... I tried the FILLIN and it would take care of the extra return problem but you can delete it easily by tabing through the table. The drop down would be the best, but I can't predict all the entries for a date and a project name! Any other wordly possibilities, tricks? I appreciate your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use text form fields, which automatically are bookmarked as Text1, Text2. You can leave the bookmarks or select the fields, right click & choose options, then rename them. Place REF fields where you want them. Then protect the document for forms (Tools/Protect Document.../forms). Your users will only be able to type in the form fields & can't delete any bookmarks.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's it! I just have to reshuffle a few things to put the REFs in the same section but it works! Thanks, Phil, you saved me a big headache!