New Lounger
    Thanks

Selected Cell (97/SR2)

After installing Excel on a new notebook computer, I found that I could no longer see the outline of selected cells on a dark grey sheet background. On my desktop computer, the selected cell appears with a light grey outline on a dark grey background. I haven't found any settings that address this problem. Is there something about an LCD display that affects the cell outline appearance?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selected Cell (97/SR2)

Hi Martin,

The problem is not with your screen, but with your choice of background color. Excel chooses a color for highlighting by simply reversing the background color of the cell. Thus when selected a white cell will get a black border, black will get white, green will get magenta, etc. But because of this simple algorithm there is a shade of gray that when reversed yields virtually the same shade of gray. A lighter gray will yield a slightly darker border, and a darker gray will yield a slightly lighter border. If you want to see the border you must avoid this particular neutral gray color. Better yet, instead of using a perfectly neutral gray, try a slightly off-neutral color, such as grayish-brown, green, blue, etc., which will cause the border to contain a bit of its complementary color.

Of course, an LCD screen can contribute a bit to this problem because the lightness of the color varies with viewing angle.

Keep Excelling.

Damon

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. I understand your explanation but my confusion is with the fact that I can see the selected cell outline so clearly when viewed with my CRT display and not at all with my notebook LCD.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

LCD displays are different from CRT displays; items that display well on one may be hard to view on the other.
    Besides, is the notebook set to the same color depth as the desktop? If the notebook is set to 8 or 16 bits and the desktop to 24 bits, this might account for part or all of the difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My desktop display is 800X600 16bit and my notebook is 1400X1050 32bit. Maybe that's it.