Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Two Problems (Printing & Desktop.ini) (XP Pro)

Hi folks, I have a rather odd issue that I hope someone can help me with.

All has been fine on my Toshiba Sat Pro Laptop running Windows XP and Office XP (both fully patched and updated) for several months, and all off a sudden a few days ago I started to notice a file called "desktop.ini" appearing all over the place. It pops open in Notepad on my desktop when Windows starts, and it appears in several places on my Start Menu, and many system folders on my C drive (windows, windowssystem32, windowsfonts and in almost every subfolder under Documents & Settings).

The file always contains settings under the heading [.ShellClassInfo], but the actual contents can be quite different from one instance of the file to another.

I assume it is some sort of system file that is usually hidden, but I have checked my Explorer settings, and I have "Do not show hidden and system files" and "Hide protected operating system files" both set correctly.

Does anyone know why this file is appearing (particularly the one that opens in Notepad when windows starts) and how I can hide/get rid of it. Before you ask, I am not aware of any significant change in hardware/software that happened around the same time this problem started.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Two Problems (Printing & Desktop.ini) (XP Pro)

I believe that to display thumbnails, Windows needs to create a "desktop.ini" file within the folder you are viewing.
    My guess is that you have viewed your startup folder with the "View Thumbnails" option selected, it has created the ini file and it defaults to opening with Notepad when you Log on.

This (difficult to read) thread at www.annoyances.org might help you resolve it.

And your second problem?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

Many thanks... that link to annoyances.org has done the trick perfectly. It was something to do with the Hidden and System attributes getting corrupted.

Now on to my Second Problem (that I forgot all about before)...

Printing.
    My system, other than the above issue, works fine, and when I print all seems fine, but after printing things go downhill. It seems that the Print Spooler service "SPOOLSV.EXE" seems to keep running and sucking up memory. When it runs in the background normally it takes a couple of meg, but after a print (of any size) it just grows and grows. My PC performance gets worse until it all dies, or until I go into Task Manager, find the SPOOLSV.EXE process (notice it using 60+meg of RAM) and End the Process. All is fine after that, except that I have to re-boot before I can print again. Even if I try to print very soon after the first attempt, I get an error that says something like "No printers installed" and I have to re-boot anyway.
    I guess it is relevant to say that my pc is connected to an NT4 network and the printer (a Ricoh Aficio 270) is also on the network, not connected directly to me.
    This problem has been going on for a few weeks, and again I can't identify a specific hardware/software change that happened at the same time.

P.S. Don't suggest I talk to the Network Administrator... that's me!

Thanks

Thanks

At a guess it may be related to the printer driver. See if anything in
    Q314073: How to Troubleshoot Network Printing Problems in Windows XP
    points to anything, otherwise I'll keep an eye out...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Those little desktop.ini files can be very useful. As you've looked in one you'll have noticed (perhaps) path names. These can be altered to suit you. One points to the icon being used for that folder, one to an image file for the background of the icon area of the folder and another to a folder where an HTML file called <font color=yellow>Folder.htt</font color=yellow> is accessed. If you don't want to use the defaults, you can edit Folder.htt to change the appearance of your side-panel : you can, for instance, get it to use the same background image as your icon area, and add a picture or a quotation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Tosh Sat 5005?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, it is a Sat Pro 6000