Thread: SQL Won

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Won

SQL Won

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Won

strSQL: SELECT s.lngBPermitID INTO tblResultsBP FROM qrytblBPermit s ORDER BY strPermitNo

strSQL: SELECT s.lngContractorID INTO tblResultsContractor FROM qrytblContractor s ORDER BY strAccountNo

What contains those fields ? You select Longs and sort on Strings. Is it that what you want ?
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Francois

Yes that is what I want. This is part of a more complex criteria form that allows the operator to enter criteria and some code builds the following statements.

I am selecting all the lngContractorID's into a results table from a query that contains all the table fields from tblContractor sorted by strAccountNo

this one does everything but the sort:
    strSQL: SELECT s.lngContractorID INTO tblResultsContractor FROM qrytblContractor s ORDER BY strAccountNo

this one works:
    strSQL: SELECT s.lngBPermitID INTO tblResultsBP FROM qrytblBPermit s ORDER BY strPermitNo

Thanks, John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Did it make a difference if you change the order by to :
    ORDER BY s.strPermitNo

edit
    Sorry, I mean
    ORDER BY s.strAccountNo
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Francis

I tried your suggestion wih same results

This is qrytblContractor

The joins are code and descriptions tables I'm using to (flatten) bring everything together with tblContractor for selection and reporting purposes. This use t work.

Thanks, for your help

John

SELECT tblContractor.*, tbl_BP_OtherLookup.strCode AS CODstrCode, tbl_BP_OtherLookup.strDescription AS CODstrDescription, tbl_BP_OtherLookup.strTypeCode AS CODstrType, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1.strCode AS CTYstrCode, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1.strDescription AS CTYstrDescription, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1.strTypeCode AS CTYstrType, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2.strCode AS CCLstrCode, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2.strDescription AS CCLstrDescription, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2.strTypeCode AS CCLstrType, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3.strCode AS COSstrCode, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3.strDescription AS COSstrDescription, tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3.strTypeCode AS COSstrType
    FROM ((((tblContractor LEFT JOIN tbl_BP_OtherLookup ON tblContractor.lngDeptCodeID = tbl_BP_OtherLookup.lngID) LEFT JOIN tbl_BP_OtherLookup AS tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1 ON tblContractor.lngAccountTypeID = tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1.lngID) LEFT JOIN tbl_BP_OtherLookup AS tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2 ON tblContractor.lngContractorClassID = tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2.lngID) LEFT JOIN tbl_BP_OtherLookup AS tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3 ON tblContractor.lngStatusID = tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3.lngID) INNER JOIN tblResultsContractor ON tblContractor.lngContractorID = tblResultsContractor.lngContractorID
    WHERE (((tbl_BP_OtherLookup.strTypeCode)="COD") AND ((tbl_BP_OtherLookup_1.strTypeCode)="CTY") AND ((tbl_BP_OtherLookup_2.strTypeCode)="CCL") AND ((tbl_BP_OtherLookup_3.strTypeCode)="COS"));

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do you care what order they're inserted in? Table order isn't significant in Access anyhow unless you don't index the table, and in that case everything runs much slower than it should.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte

This criteria form is used by the operator to isolate record ID's as a record source for reports, in addition to entering criteria which this example dosen't show (to keep it simple), the operator can select one of multiple sort sequences, the code builds the sql based on these selections. In this example it is strAccountNo, it could have been strBusinessName, etc.

In any case tblResultsContractor should contain the ID's that meet the criteria and in the user selected sequence, in this case strAccountNo.

I have used this method before in all my criteria forms, all of a sudden its nt working on this one:

this one does everything but the sort:

this one works:

Thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

As Charlotte wrote, the order of records in a table is irrelevant. If your table has a primary key, the records will be displayed sorted by this index (unless another sort order is imposed explicitly), regardless of the physical order.

If you want records displayed in a different order, create a query. For reports, you have to set the sort order in the Sorting and Grouping window anyway, because reports usually ignore the sort order of the record source (table or query). See for instance the thread starting at <post#=166698>post 166698</post#>.

So trying to insert records into a table in a certain order is inefficient and practically useless. Set the sort order in a query or in the Sorting and Grouping window of a report to return records the way you want.

Regards,
    Hans

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

I'm probably noy explaining myself.

I put together sample db however it is 165mb, is there a way to get it to you or Charlotte, in a few minutes you will see what I'm trying to do.

John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I hope it is 165kb.
    If Hans or Charlotte don't have the time, I'll be glad to have a look at it.
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HI Francois

Woops its 165kb, I emailed it to you

Thanks, John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John,

In a report, never relay on the sort order of the underlying query or table. You have to specify it in the report itself.
    You can do it in the Sort and Grouping window (see attachment) or by code in the On Open Event of the report.
    <pre>Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    'Call GetReportInfo(Me)
    Me.RecordSource = "qryResultsContractor"
    Me.OrderBy = "strBusinessName"
    Me.OrderByOn = True
    End Sub</pre>

Attached Images Attached Images
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Francois

I took your advice, changed as follows so I can reuse reports for various criteria and sorting options, still don't understand how the concept was working for the past 6 months, oh well, access was letting me get a way with sloppy programming then it bit me.

Thanks, John

Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Call GetReportInfo(Me)

If IsLoaded("frmCriteriaContractor") Then
    If Nz(Forms![frmSelectReport]![Application], "NA") = "CO" Then
    Me.RecordSource = "qryResultsContractor"
    Me.OrderBy = [Forms]![frmCriteriaContractor]![lblSelectFields].Caption
    Me.OrderByOn = True
    End If
    End If
    End Sub