New Lounger
    Thanks

Download Metering for internet connections

I need a solution for a Motel. They want to meter and bill their clients internet access (MB Downloaded) and then view this in an easy to see interface that desk staff can read and then transfer to the billing system (manual re-entry is fine).

Platinum Lounger
    Hornsby Heights, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Download Metering for internet connections

The log files created by Ositis WinProxy contain all the info you need, plus it acts as a firewall, and ad-blocker, a full proxy server, in fact everything you need for internet connectivity in a small business. I've been using it for 5 years now and never had a moments trouble with it. The only protocol I'm not using via WinProxy is pop and smtp. It's dead-easy to install and administer too.
    Cheers, Claude.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Download Metering for internet connections

Thanks Claude,

I'll have to have a closer look at it. I'm installing it at a client down in Port Kembla tomorrow.
    The main issues I think I'll be up against at the Motel is identifying users, since they are all temporary and will bring their own laptops. I don't want to have to make any changes to their computer apart from DHCP issued settings and perhaps the proxy server setting in the browser.

I guess I'll have to write a tool in Access or some such thing to import the log files whenever a client checks out and the bill needs to be produced.

Like I said, I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Thanks again,