New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Outlook to New PC (2000 (IMO))

I want to move my Outlook 2000 folders, contacts, and address book from a PC running ME to a PC running XP(Home). I exported all folders to a PST file and imported them into the new PC. Everything came across okay except my distribution lists (groups) in my address book. I thought I could maybe copy my outlook.pst file to the new PC, but there is no outlook.pst (or any *.pst file) on the new machine. Both Outlooks are set as IMO option.

Does anyone have a suggestion on hold to move my DLs to the new machine without having to recreate them? Many thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Outlook to New PC (2000 (IMO))

Others may be able to provide more detail, but this link may help: MSKB Q288442 "OL2002: PAB Addresses Are Missing After You Upgrade"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Van, thanks for the try, but I am not upgrading Outlook. I have Outlook 2000 on both machines. I only want to move my distribution lists from the old to the new machine. My PAB and Contacts exist on both machine. The only problem is the distribution lists I have set up in my PAB on the old machine didn't get imported into the PAB on the new machine (all other information did get imported). I am trying to find out which file on the old machine would contain the distribution list information so I can copy (overwrite) the same file on the new machine to move the distribution lists.

Thanks for the help!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The distribution list data is not stored in a file that is separate and distinct from the PAB information as a whole. There are numerous reports on the MSKB about distribution list info being dropped when transferring a PAB from one machine to another. The only reliable articles pertaining to moving PABs require the MAPI support of Corporate/Workgroup installations to "work-around" the issues. It appears that Microsoft "acknowledges this to be a problem." Loungers please correct me if this is wrong.

Since Outlook now has distribution list support in the Contacts folder, why don't you quit using the PAB? It has always had significant problems. Convert those DLs to Contacts and transfer them over in a .pst file.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you're truely using a PAB then you should consider switching to an Outlook Address Book. The latter supports DLs and the former is eventually going to be dropped. Once you get your contacts into the Outlook book you can copy them into a contact folder into the pst file.

Also, importing is always problematic. It's generally better to just open the pst file and copy the contents of it into the other system. G'Luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Van, for the further info. Actually, my DLs do show in the Contact List as an entry (with a couple of faces). I didn't do anything special to get them there. When I created a DL using the PAB, they showed up in the Contact Folder. However, they too didn't export-import when I moved stuff over using the export to a .PST and importing the .PST. I have several DLs and am trying my best to not to have to recreate them. I understand the DL information is not contained in a seperate file. I was just wondering where the PAB and/or Contact information is stored so I could jsut copy over the entire file rather than going through the export-import process. There are no .PST, .PAB, or .WAB files on the new machine (at least the XP Search function doesn't report any) even though I do have both a PAB and a Contact list on the XP machine. There is an outlook.pst file on the old machine, but no .PAB file there either.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have everything moved over and/or reinstalled but that and I am ready to start using the new machine soon, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and make new DLs if I can't find a resolution soon.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Bernie