2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Call Access Function from ASP page

You've heard the 'I know nothing about [ insert Product here ]' spiel before, so I won't give it...

My brother is attempting to delete an Access database record from within an ASP page. He can successfully add/modify records, but cannot delete for some reason. My limited knowledge in Access/dangerous knowledge of the Access Object Model led me to create a function that will delete a record, but we cannot get the ASP page to call that function.

I'll accept any advice - be it a slap on the wrist and a "<font color=red>do it this way</font color=red>" or a line to add to his ASP code - or web site you can offer, and will pass the info on to my brother.

NOTE: It is a non-relational database -- it's just a single table, AFAIK.

Let me know what glaringly-important information I've left out, and I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Call Access Function from ASP page

I'll bet the problem lies in the Cursor type and/or Lock type arguments of the Recordset object. You need to use a Dynamic or Keyset cursor and anything but a Read only lock type.

Here's an example of how to delete a record with ASP/ADO (the first line is necessary in order to use the ADO/VBScript constants - otherwise you would have to use numbers instead of constant names such as adOpenDynamic):

<%
    set cnn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cnn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/db/MyDatabase.mdb") & ";",

set rst = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rst.Open "SELECT * FROM tbl_Customers", cnn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

rst.MoveFirst
    rst.Find "CustomerID=" & lngCustomerID

rst.Delete

rst.Close
    set rst = nothing
    cnn.Close
    set cnn = nothing

%>

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Call Access Function from ASP page

Thanks. He has informed me that he will be recreating his ASP page from scratch. You'll probably hear from me in this forum in a couple of weeks.