New Lounger
    Thanks

Cell Stick (ME 2002)

When trying to enter a formula by typing =, the cell stuck, and I was unable to type anymore information. I had to ctrl+alt+del to end the task. Any suggestions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cell Stick (ME 2002)

Is this in a particular workbook?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks

It was a brand new workbook. I was creating a budget for a vacation. I entered mileage, MPG, and cost per gallon of gas. In cell A6, I typed the "=" to start a formula, and the cell stuck. No other keys would work. When I moved the move to the right or down, it began to select cells. The only way to get out was ctrl+atl+del. I tried this several times. I even tried saving the file, same thing. I finally ran out of time and gave up. I didn't try opening a previously created spreadsheet and attemtping the same thing.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Does it happen again if you do the same thing again? If not, then it probably was a problem in one of the device drivers on your system and has nothing to do with Excel. If it always happens in Excel, then there are some things you can do to try to find out what is causing it.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to create the formula 5 or 6 times. Each time ctrl+alt+del to close Excel. Each time, the same problem happened. When I type the "=" sign to start a formula, the cell gets stuck. My other Office 2002 ME edition applications work fine. BTW - I did purchase the Student and Teacher version of Office. I just remembered that. Not sure if this has something to do with the problems.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The first thing that I would try would be to find your XLStart directory and move everything in it to another directory. Then see if the problem still occurs. If not, start moving the things that were in XLStart back one at a time until you find out which one is causing the problem.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Almost at the top of the XL window there is the formula bar. To the left of that there is a green V and a red cross. ONce you type an equal sign those should become visible. Can you click them?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association